Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Default Styles and numer lists

I am working with users who have recently upgraded to Office 07, and they are
having issues creating & formatting documents like they were used to in XP
and 2K. These users create and modify specific judicial opinions and memos
which need to be formatted a specific way, however each judicial suite is a
bit different from all the rest. I would love ot create a new style with all
the changes but for right now we are trying to create a new numbered list. 3
of the suites can use new multi-level lists, where they can use teh ¶ symbol
and then they insert a tab stop at 1.0". They are fine with that, however
the other 2 suites don't like that as when they create the numbered list, if
you tab it automatically inserts the next level (a, I, 1, etc....) If
however, they choose a simple list, they can not figure out how to set the
tab stop so that the text starts at 1.0" but the ¶1 is at the margin.

Is there an easy solution, or maybe a setting that can be modified? Also,
are there any good sites out there that cover how to setup and modify styles
in 07?

Much appreciated,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Ask them to use Ctrl+Tab to insert a tab character.

Alternatively, ask them to do this: Click the Office button, and then click
Word Options. In the Proofing category, click the AutoCorrect Options
button. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Clear the "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces" option, and
click OK twice.

If
however, they choose a simple list, they can not figure out how to set the
tab stop so that the text starts at 1.0" but the ¶1 is at the margin.

Is there an easy solution, or maybe a setting that can be modified?

Right-click an item of a numbered list. From the context menu, choose Adjust
List Indents. Click the More button to see all options for text and number
position.

Also,
are there any good sites out there that cover how to setup and modify
styles
in 07?

To change styles in Word 2007: Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles
pane. Click the Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab, locate the style you
want, and click Modify. This brings up the Modify Style dialog box of
previous versions of Word.

As far as numbering is concerned, you can set up a list style for full
control. You do this via Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New List Style.
The advantage of list styles is that they can be managed pretty much the
same way as paragraph and character styles in Word, for example, you can
copy them between documents and templates. Even though you are using a list
style, you can still attach paragraph styles to each level; this makes
applying numbering easier. And you can edit an existing list style by
right-clicking it at Home tab | Multilevel List (in the "List Styles"
category).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Stefan,

Thanks for that. I think that for now they will use your 2nd suggestion of
changing the AUTOCORRECT options. I think I need to understand better what
the benefits of creating a style, or set of styles are compared to creating
specific templates.

They have two specific documents, each with unique requirements. One is
more of a numbered list and the other is based off of a table of content
(TOC).

Thanks again,

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

List Indents. Click the More button to see all options for text and number
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thank you for the feedback. :-)

For general information on using styles, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/stylesms/index.html.

For more on numbered lists, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Neither of these articles is directly targeted at Word 2007, though.

From Word 2007 online help:

Style basics in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100970201033

--

[...]