Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sheana sheana is offline

Default Hi, can you tell me why you would use Ctrl + Tab within a table ce

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

These are sounding like homework questions now. Create a small table and
experiment. The difference is obvious in a table.

Terry

"sheana" wrote in message
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sheana sheana is offline

Default Hi, can you tell me why you would use Ctrl + Tab within a tabl

I know that if you hit "Tab" within a cell, it takes you to the next cell. I
also know that to duplicate that function within a table/cell, you have to
hit Ctrl + Tab. I was just wondering if there was anything else. Yes, I did
experiment with all kinds of keystrokes, i.e. Shift + Tab, arrows, etc. The
problem is, I am taking a class, and I would like to delve a little
deeperinto the subject matter;unfortunately the instructor just wants to plow
through the material as fast as possible.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

These are sounding like homework questions now. Create a small table and
experiment. The difference is obvious in a table.

Terry

"sheana" wrote in message
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

You got it right. The Ctrl is needed because in a Table, tab is used to move
to the next cell, the Ctrl giving it its normal tab function. Some other
keyboard shortcuts need the addition of the Ctrl to work 'as expected' when
used in a Table too. Note that Shift+Tab moves you back a cell in a table.

Terry

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

These are sounding like homework questions now. Create a small table and
experiment. The difference is obvious in a table.

Terry

"sheana" wrote in message
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

FWIW, you can also use Ctrl+Tab to insert a tab character at the beginning
of a numbered item in Word, if the "Set left and first indent with tabs and
backspaces" option is checked on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of the
AutoCorrect dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

These are sounding like homework questions now. Create a small table and
experiment. The difference is obvious in a table.

Terry

"sheana" wrote in message
Thanks in advance.