Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
greg greg is offline

Default versioning

In word 2007 or 2003
can you version a document
without using "reviewing" or some other software like sharepoint?
I thought office had some kind of version built in when you save the
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

The "revision number" shown on the Statistics tab of File | Properties just
shows the number of times the document has been saved. In Word 2003, you can
also save versions of the document using the File | Versions... command. See
Word's Help topics "Save multiple versions of a document" and "About saving
versions of a document." Versioning is somewhat controversial. It can be
risky, and it definitely increases file size. I believe versioning has been
removed from Word 2007. The safest way to save versions is to use Save As
and save under another name, with a number or date to indicate the version.

"greg" wrote in message
In word 2007 or 2003
can you version a document
without using "reviewing" or some other software like sharepoint?
I thought office had some kind of version built in when you save the
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm will enable you to prove
numbered versions of a document.

versioning greg Microsoft Word Help 2 January 21st 08 05:54 AM
using the versioning feature among multiple contributors compliance data Microsoft Word Help 2 July 17th 07 04:04 PM
Word 2007, Versioning - where is it? Mike[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 4 March 6th 07 07:01 AM
Versioning in Sharepoint server 2007 preeto Microsoft Word Help 0 February 1st 07 09:15 AM
Versioning file bloat Bruce Rusk Microsoft Word Help 2 August 22nd 05 02:14 AM