Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.office.misc
Jack Gillis Jack Gillis is offline

Default Mail Merge from an Exel Database

A little over a year ago I successfully printed labels from an Excel
database on this machine using Office 2003 Word and Excel under XP SP2. I
put the Excel database in My Data Sources and things went very well after a
few false starts and a lot of help from these NG's.

I have another machine that has Word 2003 and Excel 2003 on it but does not
have a My Sources folded on it. It seems that is the key to success. What
do I have to do to that machine in order to have My Data Sources so that I
can mail merge labels. Just creating a folder by that name doesn't seem to
satisfy.

Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.office.misc

You shouldn't need to have that folder created. However... one way to create
it is to go through the mail merge steps in Word. In step 3, choose Type a
new list, then click Create. Enter at least one record in the New Address
List dialog, then click Close. Word will automatically create the My Data
Sources folder at this point (if it does not already exist).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Jack Gillis" wrote in message

A little over a year ago I successfully printed labels from an Excel
database on this machine using Office 2003 Word and Excel under XP SP2. I
put the Excel database in My Data Sources and things went very well after
a few false starts and a lot of help from these NG's.

I have another machine that has Word 2003 and Excel 2003 on it but does
not have a My Sources folded on it. It seems that is the key to success.
What do I have to do to that machine in order to have My Data Sources so
that I can mail merge labels. Just creating a folder by that name doesn't
seem to satisfy.

Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Liz Liz is offline

The storage location of the data source, in your case Excel, is irrelavant to
success in the Mail Merge process. Any and all of my files are stored/saved
in network based folders.
Where ever they are stored, simply "connect" your Excel data file to the
Word document you are merging to using the toolbar or Wizard.

"Jack Gillis" wrote:

A little over a year ago I successfully printed labels from an Excel
database on this machine using Office 2003 Word and Excel under XP SP2. I
put the Excel database in My Data Sources and things went very well after a
few false starts and a lot of help from these NG's.

I have another machine that has Word 2003 and Excel 2003 on it but does not
have a My Sources folded on it. It seems that is the key to success. What
do I have to do to that machine in order to have My Data Sources so that I
can mail merge labels. Just creating a folder by that name doesn't seem to
satisfy.

Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers
TedMi TedMi is offline

The data source need not be in My Data Sources - it can be anywhere on your
disk or on a network folder. When selecting the data source, you can browse
to any location on your local or network folders.
--
TedMi

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Gillis Jack Gillis is offline

Thank you, Liz.

I found that I had repeatedly made a simple, dumb operator mistake All is
well now.

Thank you again.