Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ashley101 Ashley101 is offline

Default Overriding CTRL in hyperlinks

I want to send a business newsletter out with hyperlinks in it. I want to get
rid of people having to press CTRL and then the link. How do I do this. I
know you can do it on individual computers but how do I override it so even
if their computer has CTRL on it will let them just click the hyperlink
without hte CTRL.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

The Ctrl+Click hyperlink is a user profile setting.
Uncheck Tools, Options, Edit, Use CTRL+Click to follow hyperlink.
This is your setting on your machine, the receivers may or may not have this
setting, I don't believe that you can force this setting in the document to
change receivers machine, except possibly with a macro, but that then opens
another can of worms concerning the receivers security settings!
Rely on the hope that if the receiver has the Ctrl+Click setting they are
used to it.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Ashley101" wrote:

I want to send a business newsletter out with hyperlinks in it. I want to get
rid of people having to press CTRL and then the link. How do I do this. I
know you can do it on individual computers but how do I override it so even
if their computer has CTRL on it will let them just click the hyperlink
without hte CTRL.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Ashley101 wrote:
I want to send a business newsletter out with hyperlinks in it. I
want to get rid of people having to press CTRL and then the link. How
do I do this. I know you can do it on individual computers but how do
I override it so even if their computer has CTRL on it will let them
just click the hyperlink without hte CTRL.

The cure is worse than the problem. You would have to put a macro in the
document to change the option setting on the recipient's computer (and, to
be a good citizen, another macro to restore the original setting when they
close your document). Because macros in documents could be malicious code
(a.k.a. viruses), Word displays a very scary message when it finds them, and
the recipient would have to click a button in that message to enable your
macro.

My advice is to forget about it. If a particular recipient has the option
for Ctrl+click turned on, then presumably that's the way they want to use
hyperlinks -- don't mess with that. The same thing goes for most of the
machine-specific options.

If it really, really bothers you -- and given that you don't want recipients
to edit your newsletter anyway -- then convert it to PDF and send that
instead of a Word document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You cannot control the settings on the recipients' computers. Of course, you
could create a macro to turn off the setting, but you can't force them to
install the macro... Therefore, it will be easier to just ask them to turn
off "Use Ctrl + Click to follow hyperlink" in the Word options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP