Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Robert is offline

Default Mulltple Footnotes Per Line.

Hi.

This seems so simple but after all the work ive done to try to work it out,
im kinda ready to give up.

I would like to put multiple footnotes on one line in Word. For example, if
i have a 5 character footnote, i dont seem why i cant save space and have
them be strung along the same line of text.

As a footnote i dont see a way to do it (perhaps another program?). But
maybe as some complicated marco, that will most likely scare me off?

Thanks for any tips.
"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can easily put more than one footnote on a line, by setting tab stops,
formatting paragraph breaks as Hidden, and adding tab characters between
short footnotes. The reason I don't provide more detail is that this doesn't
accomplish anything: Word still allows just as much room for the footnotes
as if they were one beneath the other. So no, there's really no way to
accomplish this in Word.

"Robert" wrote in message
Hi.

This seems so simple but after all the work ive done to try to work it
out,
im kinda ready to give up.

I would like to put multiple footnotes on one line in Word. For example,
if
i have a 5 character footnote, i dont seem why i cant save space and have
them be strung along the same line of text.

As a footnote i dont see a way to do it (perhaps another program?). But
maybe as some complicated marco, that will most likely scare me off?

Thanks for any tips.
"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Robert is offline

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Other than the last sentacne i really dident understand what you meant.

I havent given up yet.

As im considering using this multi-footnote per line format for a number of
documents i had come up with the following idea that may suit my needs.

I has considered making all footnotes into endnotes. Then i would create
linked text boxes at the bottom of each page. somehow i would have the text
of the endnotes autmaticlly linked to the textboxes and as i type endnotes,
the text would appear in the text box. i could then format at will. i had
even thought of having the footnote referance number all typed out in the
text box, and as i type the endnotes, the text drops it self into the
corresponding text box footnote number. if i could creat a template for this
then i could use it for all my documents. (the repitiaion of the endnotes as
footnotes wouldent matter, because all i need is the printed matter, and i
would just print the footnotes leaving of the endnotes).

Noow the only catch is how to do that. crossreferancing dosent work. so ive
tryied with bookmarks, but even that dosent seem to help because i can only
bookmark the endnote AFTER its been written, which would mean the tedious
task of booking marking every endnote AFTER it was written, and would also
kill my concept of a template.

Any ideas how to link unwriiten endnote text to a text box?

Sorry for the rambling,

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is a recipe for disaster. Take my advice and abandon the attempt to do
this. What my last sentence (which you don't quote) means is that there is
*no point* in trying to force Word to do what it can't/won't do.

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

I do not know of any way that can be done using Word's in-built
footnote/endnote facilities. However, I am no expert when it comes to Word's
abilities. I suppose you could forego that facility and do it manually in
some way. For example, place the footnote markers as conventional
superscripts. The corresponding footnotes could be placed in an
appropriately-formatted, borderless table in an appropriately formatted text
box/frame placed in the bottom of the page. It would be manageable but,
especially for a long document, very tedious and fussy .

Just a thought. And not a very-well worked-out thought at that.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Robert" wrote in message
Hi.

This seems so simple but after all the work ive done to try to work it
out,
im kinda ready to give up.

I would like to put multiple footnotes on one line in Word. For example,
if
i have a 5 character footnote, i dont seem why i cant save space and have
them be strung along the same line of text.

As a footnote i dont see a way to do it (perhaps another program?). But
maybe as some complicated marco, that will most likely scare me off?

Thanks for any tips.
"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Robert,

As an illustration of what Word does with the footnotes using its built in functionallity, as far as how much space Word 'sees' for
space at the end of a page and why you may indeed be as Suzanne mentions, inviting trouble later on (unraveling spaghetti to
reconnect two pieces if one strand breaks)

1. Create a new Word document and type some text.

2. Insert about 6-10 footnotes on a single page using Insert Footnote and typing in any text for each one.

3. Go to the footnotes and turn on display of nonprinting characters (the pilcrow/paragraph mark) in the toolbar/Ribbon.

4. At the end of each footnote, just before the paragraph mark press the Tab key to insert a tab.

5. Select the character and paragraph mark at the end of the first footnote and use
Word 2003: Format=Font
Word 2007: Home=Format launcher(bottom right of 'Format)=Font
and apply 'Hidden' to the selected items.

6. Select the tab and paragraph mark for each additional footnote and press F4 to also apply the hidden attribute to those items.

7. Use the Pilcrow on the Ribbon/Toolbar to toggle off/on the display of non-printing characters and you should see the display
jump back and forth to separate lines for each footnote vs multiple footnotes on one line. Now print or print preview and note that
although you see only one line for Footnotes, Word still 'sees' multiple lines, so preserves space for 'n' lines of separate
footnotes at the bottom of the page (i.e. you may not gain any space on the printed page).

It will be interesting to see if your alternate method or Tom's would be an improvement or if using EndNote X1 (3rd party product
from http://thomsonresearchsoft.com ) or other approach gives you a workable solution.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP