Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Word 2007 hangs on Replace (Ctrl-h)

I have Office 2007 running on Win XP. Everything was new last fall.

We have had a few problems with Outlook crashing from time to time,
but now it's Word. I have a template that I use to create service
contracts. There are several "variables" that change depending on the
type of service. I have placed "variables" throughout the document
such as "&role" and "&service" and "&county".

When I load the template, I use Replace (Ctrl-h) to replace all
occurrences of these variables with the value for that contract.

I have been using this template for 10-12 years. When we got new
computers last fall, I upgraded it to a .dotx template. I have used it
several times a week since then.

This afternoon, when I did the Replace, Word hung. I got the hourglass
for well over 5 minutes. The Replace usually takes 1-2 seconds. The
document is about 15 pages long.

I was able to click on the Close (X) icon, but then Word "encountered
an error" and crashed. It offered me a chance to send Mirosoft an
error report, which I did.

I then rebooted the computer and tried again. Same result. It happened
4-5 times in a row.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

I've heard that saving in 97-2003 *.doc format fixes the document, so that
Find/Replace works again.
Maybe worth a try.

It is a bit ironic, since for years now the usual trick to fix corrupted
*.docs was to save in XML format.

Regards,
Klaus