Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PcJunkie7 PcJunkie7 is offline

Default Page number x of y not updating in Header with Word 2007

The problem is that the page numbers in the header do not update when the
document is opened unless you open the header area or do a manual field
update. This the page field code: Page {PAGE} of {NUMPAGES}

When I put the same code in the body of the document, it does update when
the doc is opened, but we need it to update the header as well.

Here is a MS article that shows you how to make a macro to update the fields
when the doc is opened and it does work, but not everybody has this macro so
all the people that open these documents are going to think they are messed
up. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832897

Is this really how Word 2007 is supposed to function and why? When these
same docs are opened with Word 2003, the page numbers are updated properly in
the header.