Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Antonio[_3_] Antonio[_3_] is offline

Default Spell Check

Hi Everyone,

Please help with a MS Word problem: I'm writing a big research paper
with lots of topic-specific terminology, like "habitus" or
"securitization," and, of course, MS Word counts these terms as
misspelled. So, in order to improve the view of the document, I right
click on these terms and click "ignore all." This works while I'm in
the document, but when I close it and then eventually reopen it, the
words AGAIN have a little red squiggly line underneath. I have to
follow the same process (right click all terms and choose "ignore all"
if I want my document to look good). What's the point of have the
"ignore all" option if it is just temporary?

This is a big flaw in MS Word. How can MS allow something so
fundamental to happen.

Antonio
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You have two other choices. You can either add the words to your custom
dictionary (you can even create a separate custom dictionary just for these
terms), or you can apply a "No Proofing" character style. For more on the
latter, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm

"Antonio" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Please help with a MS Word problem: I'm writing a big research paper
with lots of topic-specific terminology, like "habitus" or
"securitization," and, of course, MS Word counts these terms as
misspelled. So, in order to improve the view of the document, I right
click on these terms and click "ignore all." This works while I'm in
the document, but when I close it and then eventually reopen it, the
words AGAIN have a little red squiggly line underneath. I have to
follow the same process (right click all terms and choose "ignore all"
if I want my document to look good). What's the point of have the
"ignore all" option if it is just temporary?

This is a big flaw in MS Word. How can MS allow something so
fundamental to happen.

Antonio

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Antonio wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Please help with a MS Word problem: I'm writing a big research paper
with lots of topic-specific terminology, like "habitus" or
"securitization," and, of course, MS Word counts these terms as
misspelled. So, in order to improve the view of the document, I right
click on these terms and click "ignore all." This works while I'm in
the document, but when I close it and then eventually reopen it, the
words AGAIN have a little red squiggly line underneath. I have to
follow the same process (right click all terms and choose "ignore all"
if I want my document to look good). What's the point of have the
"ignore all" option if it is just temporary?

This is a big flaw in MS Word. How can MS allow something so
fundamental to happen.

Antonio

It isn't a flaw in Word, it's your misunderstanding of what is supposed to
happen.

"Ignore all" is _intended_ to be only for the current session. If you know
that the flagged word is correctly spelled, add it to your custom dictionary
by right-clicking it and choosing "Add to Dictionary". After that it will
never be flagged again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 9, 10:51 am, "Jay Freedman" wrote:
Antonio wrote:
[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Thanks for answering my question, I really appreciate it. I'm still
confused as to the logic of the "ignore all" option if it is just
temporary. I think it is more MS's misunderstanding of how to create
a software package that is user friendly, and don't even get me
started on Vista.