Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JH

Default Deleting section break affects header?

I am working on a document with multiple sections. I delete the section
break at the end of the document and surprise to see the header changed. A
new header replaced my original one and i do not recognise this new header at
all!!

Anyone knows the reason?
--
JH
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

See: http://addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"JH" wrote:

I am working on a document with multiple sections. I delete the section
break at the end of the document and surprise to see the header changed. A
new header replaced my original one and i do not recognise this new header at
all!!

Anyone knows the reason?
--
JH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric

JH

Doesn't it drive you craz?

I had this happen in a report right on deadline. It appears in Word that
when you remove a section break, let's say theection break between Sections 4
and 5, the header in Section 4 will inherit the header from Section 5. If you
have a "different first page" option checked, you'll end up with the Section
5 header on the first and subsequent pages in section 4. If the header for
section 4 was originally inherited from Section 3, this glitch also affects
section 3 and any other section with inherited headers.

Sometimes, the template you are using has a header someone made and saved to
the template. In your situation, it sounds as if the new header came from the
template itself.

You'll need to open the template (create two pages if it was set up with
'different first page') and see if there is a header/footer. If so, delete
the text, close the header, delete the second page and re-save the template
as a template. You'll have to be sure any documents using this template are
closed.

Then it seems (unless someone has a better solution) you have to recreate
the correct header.

Eric

"JH" wrote:

I am working on a document with multiple sections. I delete the section
break at the end of the document and surprise to see the header changed. A
new header replaced my original one and i do not recognise this new header at
all!!

Anyone knows the reason?
--
JH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hello JH

JH wrote:
I am working on a document with multiple sections. I delete the section
break at the end of the document and surprise to see the header changed. A
new header replaced my original one and i do not recognise this new header at
all!!

I guess most any user of Word who's done what you did was surprised when
this "happend on him". It's not so surprising any more when you
understand Word's concept of sections and their properties.

A section break is named "next page", "odd page", etc., which says
something about the section _following_ the break. But the section
properties stored in the section break itself are those of the section
*preceding* the break.

And since headers are a section property -- there you go ... :-)

See for instance:

Working with Sections (by Dave Rado)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

Creating a Template €“ The Basics (Part I, by Suzanne Barnhil)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Greetings
Robert
--