Margaret Aldis

How about doing it the other way around, if it is only the (real) headings
that need to restart? That is, use Heading 1 for real headings, and a
"Heading 1 +" style for the paragraphs. So long as you don't touch the
numbering on the paragraphs, they will stay put - but any application of the
numbering (as in a restart) will apply the linked style.

Alternatively, this might just be the place for a list style. Us old Wordies
don't use or like them for a number of reasons, but this is apparently the
application they are designed for g. Use the separate Heading and
paragraph styles for the formatting and correct automatic TOC extraction,
and apply an outline numbered list style for the numbering. You can then
restart the numbering or change levels without any effect on the paragraph
style.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not really. I could say in schedules only (please don't ask me to
apply different styles for schedule numbering - my users couldn't cope
they've been using shortcut keys only up until now and would see this
as an unnecessary complication) - however I can't really be certain
that there wouldn't be other occasions. My documents are large legal
documents so we have to try and be as flexible as possible.