msdobe

Default auto format

I have a document that I'm making the margins smaller so I can condense the
number of pages. Usually I'll "select all" and use autoformat and it will
format the document to the new margins, but I have a document where it isn't
working. Any suggestions?

Jenny
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 06:18:03 -0700, msdobe
wrote:

I have a document that I'm making the margins smaller so I can condense the
number of pages. Usually I'll "select all" and use autoformat and it will
format the document to the new margins, but I have a document where it isn't
working. Any suggestions?

Jenny

What does "it isn't working" mean? Do the lines start at the new left
margin and stop short of the new right margin? If so, you probably
have a paragraph mark or line break at the end of each line. To check
it, click the ¶ button on the toolbar. A paragraph mark looks like the
symbol on the button, and a line break looks like an arrow pointing to
the left (http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm).

If that's the problem, then the solution is at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eanWebText.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
msdobe

Jay,

The text was short of the right margin, and it's due to paragraph marks.
According to the FAQ, it should be able to be fixed by Autoformat, but that
still didn't work. I realize this is something that should be very simple
(but it isn't if you don't know how to do it). I really appreciate your help.

Jenny
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:30:02 -0700, msdobe
wrote:

Jay,

The text was short of the right margin, and it's due to paragraph marks.
According to the FAQ, it should be able to be fixed by Autoformat, but that
still didn't work. I realize this is something that should be very simple
(but it isn't if you don't know how to do it). I really appreciate your help.

Jenny

I almost never depend on the "auto" stuff -- it's too dumb to know
what you want.

Since autoformat didn't do the job, go on to the next part of the
article, "Using Find and Replace". Trust me, it works!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman