Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Default Borders

I am using Word 2003.

Whenever I click on 3D in the Borders and Shading dialog box, the 3D border
does not take effect. Instead, I get Box each time. What must I do to get a
3D border?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:30:01 -0700, jfg
wrote:

I am using Word 2003.

Whenever I click on 3D in the Borders and Shading dialog box, the 3D border
does not take effect. Instead, I get Box each time. What must I do to get a
3D border?

Thank you.

The 3D option works by reversing the direction of the border pattern
on the right and bottom edges with respect to the direction on the top
and left edges. If the border pattern you choose is symmetric (only
one line, or two lines that are the same thickness, or
thin-thick-thin), then the reversal is invisible. You must choose a
pattern that's asymmetric, such as one thin and one thick line, or one
of the gradients.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Thank you for your response. I have tried to put a thick border on right and
bottom and a thin border on left and top. I am having difficulty in doing
that. How is that done?

Again, thank you.

wrote:

I am using Word 2003.

Whenever I click on 3D in the Borders and Shading dialog box, the 3D border
does not take effect. Instead, I get Box each time. What must I do to get a
3D border?

Thank you.

The 3D option works by reversing the direction of the border pattern
on the right and bottom edges with respect to the direction on the top
and left edges. If the border pattern you choose is symmetric (only
one line, or two lines that are the same thickness, or
thin-thick-thin), then the reversal is invisible. You must choose a
pattern that's asymmetric, such as one thin and one thick line, or one
of the gradients.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That's not what I meant. In the center of the Borders dialog there's a
scrollable list showing all the border styles. The first part of the list
contains single lines of various types, and then there are styles that
include two or more lines. Among the two-line styles, some have both lines
with the same thickness, while others have one thin line and one thick line.
The thin-and-thick combination will form a 3D box. Also, near the bottom of
the list there are two gradient lines (shading that changes smoothly from
light to dark) that will also form a 3D box.

If you do want to set the sides to different thicknesses of single lines, it
can be done (by clicking one edge of the Preview picture and changing the
Width setting, then repeating for a second edge) but you can get the same
effect just by clicking the "Shadow" button on the left.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

I am using Word 2003.

Whenever I click on 3D in the Borders and Shading dialog box, the
3D border does not take effect. Instead, I get Box each time. What
must I do to get a 3D border?

Thank you.

The 3D option works by reversing the direction of the border pattern
on the right and bottom edges with respect to the direction on the
top and left edges. If the border pattern you choose is symmetric
(only one line, or two lines that are the same thickness, or
thin-thick-thin), then the reversal is invisible. You must choose a
pattern that's asymmetric, such as one thin and one thick line, or
one of the gradients.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Thank you, Jay. Your instructions worked perfectly. I am able to do 3D now.
That's really great.

Again, thanks a million.

Best regards,

jfg

borders Sam Microsoft Word Help 1 November 4th 06 04:19 PM
Borders David Lang Page Layout 1 February 18th 06 12:58 AM
Table borders gets thick when there's suppose to be no borders? RXNDNL Tables 1 January 7th 06 11:19 AM
3D borders Nash Page Layout 1 January 25th 05 04:21 PM
Why does page borders not appear in my borders and shading format. Mowgli Microsoft Word Help 4 January 11th 05 08:40 PM