manuforte manuforte is offline
Junior Member

Default problem with footnote superscripting

I use Microsoft Word 2000 and all of a sudden it started formatting my footnotes such that the footnotes in the main body of the document are almost invisible due to the fact that the footnotes are superscripted way too high. I have tried to copy and paste the formatting from the footnotes that are "normal" into the "over-superscripted" ones but this does not correct the problem. I have also compared the formatting and the font selection for both the "normal" footnotes and the "over-superscripted" ones and cannot see any differences based on the options provided in the dialog boxes.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I never used Word2000, but there's probably an Option somewhere where
you can specify the amount a superscript is raised. Are the numbers
the correct size, or are they much too small?

On Mar 29, 9:56*am, manuforte
wrote:
I use Microsoft Word 2000 and all of a sudden it started formatting my
footnotes such that the footnotes in the main body of the document are
almost invisible due to the fact that the footnotes are superscripted
way too high. *I have tried to copy and paste the formatting from the
footnotes that are "normal" into the "over-superscripted" ones but this
does not correct the problem. *I have also compared the formatting and
the font selection for both the "normal" footnotes and the
"over-superscripted" ones and cannot see any differences based on the
options provided in the dialog boxes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Footnote Reference character style affects the formatting of footnote
references, but any changes in it should be reflected in all footnote
reference marks.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
I use Microsoft Word 2000 and all of a sudden it started formatting my
footnotes such that the footnotes in the main body of the document are
almost invisible due to the fact that the footnotes are superscripted
way too high. I have tried to copy and paste the formatting from the
footnotes that are "normal" into the "over-superscripted" ones but this
does not correct the problem. I have also compared the formatting and
the font selection for both the "normal" footnotes and the
"over-superscripted" ones and cannot see any differences based on the
options provided in the dialog boxes.

manuforte manuforte is offline
Junior Member

The size of the "over-scripted" fonts is exactly the same as the normal fonts. They seem to be the correct font size as the text, which is Arial 12. They appear to have the same "character style" as well as I can discern no notable difference. I have no idea where I would be able to adjust the amount of superscripting after having looked for that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post

wrote:
I use Microsoft Word 2000 and all of a sudden it started formatting my
footnotes such that the footnotes in the main body of the document are
almost invisible due to the fact that the footnotes are superscripted
way too high. *I have tried to copy and paste the formatting from the
footnotes that are "normal" into the "over-superscripted" ones but this
does not correct the problem. *I have also compared the formatting and
the font selection for both the "normal" footnotes and the
"over-superscripted" ones and cannot see any differences based on the
options provided in the dialog boxes.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you _like_ having giant footnote reference numbers, then maybe all
you need to do is change the line spacing for your style within Format
Paragraph from an Exactly value to Single. Then the lines will be

spaced farther apart in any line that has a footnote reference, so it
won't be mostly cut off. Or you could give it a much bigger Exactly
value than it currently has.

But if you want your footnote reference numbers to be more standard,
see if the character style Footnote Reference has been changed from
Superscript (it should have no other attributes at all) to Character
Position Raised nn points.

wrote:-
I use Microsoft Word 2000 and all of a sudden it started formatting
my
footnotes such that the footnotes in the main body of the document
are
almost invisible due to the fact that the footnotes are superscripted
way too high. *I have tried to copy and paste the formatting from the
footnotes that are "normal" into the "over-superscripted" ones but
this
does not correct the problem. *I have also compared the formatting
and
the font selection for both the "normal" footnotes and the
"over-superscripted" ones and cannot see any differences based on the
options provided in the dialog boxes.-

manuforte manuforte is offline
Junior Member

Hi, Peter:
My paragraphs are all single spaced. I have played with the footnote font size and that does not reduce the amount of superscripting for the overscripted fonts. As with all computer "problems" I ask why are SOME footnotes over superscripted while others are just fine although in both cases the paragraph and font formats are exactly the same as far as I can discern.
Thanks for your time!

wrote:-
I use Microsoft Word 2000 and all of a sudden it started formatting
my
footnotes such that the footnotes in the main body of the document
are
almost invisible due to the fact that the footnotes are superscripted
way too high. *I have tried to copy and paste the formatting from the
footnotes that are "normal" into the "over-superscripted" ones but
this
does not correct the problem. *I have also compared the formatting
and
the font selection for both the "normal" footnotes and the
"over-superscripted" ones and cannot see any differences based on the
options provided in the dialog boxes.-
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are these all actual footnotes, inserted with the Insert Footnote
command? or are some of the cross references to footnotes in other
places?

-