Danny Ball

Default Is there a way to exclude a field in a template if its empty?

I use Goldmine Link with Word to add fields to templates. An example is like
name
address1 (street number and name)
address2 (suite, room, floor number)
city,state,zip

Now I was wondering, if for example the address2 field is empty in
Goldmine, is there any way it can be left out of the template instead of
being added as a blank line?

Right now it does:

Jane Smith
1234 Anon Lane

Niceville, XX 12345

I would like it to leave out the blank and move the rest of the stuff up one
line.

I use Windows 2000 with Word 2000 and Goldmine 4.7.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFubnkgQmFsbA==?=,

I use Goldmine Link with Word to add fields to templates. An example is like
name
address1 (street number and name)
address2 (suite, room, floor number)
city,state,zip

Now I was wondering, if for example the address2 field is empty in
Goldmine, is there any way it can be left out of the template instead of
being added as a blank line?

Depends on how Goldmine works with these "fields". Is it dumping the data in
directly, using automation? Are you later performing a mail merge?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Danny Ball

Hi Cindy,

I believe it dumps the data directly. In Goldmine there is a button called
"write" and it opens up a screen where my templates are. When I select one,
the contact info from the contact that is showing in Goldmine is enetered
into the template as soon as it loads. I dont believe I am performing a mail
merge later on.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFubnkgQmFsbA==?=,

I believe it dumps the data directly. In Goldmine there is a button called
"write" and it opens up a screen where my templates are. When I select one,
the contact info from the contact that is showing in Goldmine is enetered
into the template as soon as it loads. I dont believe I am performing a mail
merge later on.

Then this is going to depend on how Goldmine actually writes the information.
Before we spend a lot of time trying to figure this out... Have you tried
asking in a group that support Goldmine? Or looking for an FAQ on the website
of the software manufacturer?

I use Goldmine Link with Word to add fields to templates. An example is like
name
address1 (street number and name)
address2 (suite, room, floor number)
city,state,zip

Now I was wondering, if for example the address2 field is empty in
Goldmine, is there any way it can be left out of the template instead of
being added as a blank line?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Danny Ball

I have looked at FAQs on Frontrange's website (maker of Goldmine), but did
not find my answer. I did not post on goldmine newsgroups yet however because
I thought it was a word template issue. I know I can do something like
"If(condition A(address1)--address2) But that wont solve the removing of the
empty space, just replace it with something else. Or is there a command for
the backspace key or delete key, so if its blank select it and hit delete.
I'll try goldmine newsgroups and see what I can come up with though.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RGFubnkgQmFsbA==?=,

[...]

You *can* do this. In your IF field, test the mergefield against "" (that
is, it's blank). The TrueText will then be "" (i.e., nothing), and the
FalseText should include any line or paragraph breaks that will be required
following the inserted data.

"Danny Ball" wrote in message
I have looked at FAQs on Frontrange's website (maker of Goldmine), but did
not find my answer. I did not post on goldmine newsgroups yet however

because
I thought it was a word template issue. I know I can do something like
"If(condition A(address1)--address2) But that wont solve the removing of

the
empty space, just replace it with something else. Or is there a command

for
the backspace key or delete key, so if its blank select it and hit delete.
I'll try goldmine newsgroups and see what I can come up with though.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RGFubnkgQmFsbA==?=,

[...]

or