tobnull tobnull is offline
Junior Member

Default Print macro using Microsoft Office Document Image Writer

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

I need to set up a print macro that prints a template to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.

I got the macro set up to engage the printer but not sure how to proceed on the following steps:

1. I need Microsoft Office Document Image Writer to open

2. then you have to select one of 6 file names

3. save as one of those names then it is saved as a .tiff image

4. then need the printer to reset back to default printer for regular printing.

I have step one down but unsure how to proceed on the next three steps.
Any suggestion on the next steps or where I could find documentation to assist me would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The document image writer is covered at
http://www.gmayor.com/pdf_to_word.htm

Essentially the following will print to the image writer then reset the
printer

Sub PrintMODI()
Dim sPrinter As String
sPrinter = ActivePrinter
ActivePrinter = "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer"
Application.PrintOut
ActivePrinter = sPrinter
End Sub

Insert the filename at the prompt or accept the default

tobnull wrote:
I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

I need to set up a print macro that prints a template to Microsoft
Office Document Image Writer.

I got the macro set up to engage the printer but not sure how to
proceed on the following steps:

1. I need Microsoft Office Document Image Writer to open

2. then you have to select one of 6 file names

3. save as one of those names then it is saved as a .tiff image

4. then need the printer to reset back to default printer for regular
printing.

I have step one down but unsure how to proceed on the next three
steps.
Any suggestion on the next steps or where I could find documentation
to assist me would be appreciated.

tobnull tobnull is offline
Junior Member

Well this works in getting the document image writer to do what I want, however it does not reset to default printer but instead changes default printer to document image writer.

I tried various ways of rewriting the macro but am not having any success.

Should have added this info, my computer is on a network with an assigned printer out of a list on the floor which I work.

Tried adding the printer name to the macro but does not seem to work. Took out the final step, added an extra step but none of my current ideas work, most want me to debug the macro or do nothing.

Suggestions on this final stage of the macro should go to return to the assigned printer?

Quote:

tobnull wrote:
I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

I need to set up a print macro that prints a template to Microsoft
Office Document Image Writer.

I got the macro set up to engage the printer but not sure how to
proceed on the following steps:

1. I need Microsoft Office Document Image Writer to open

2. then you have to select one of 6 file names

3. save as one of those names then it is saved as a .tiff image

4. then need the printer to reset back to default printer for regular
printing.

I have step one down but unsure how to proceed on the next three
steps.
Any suggestion on the next steps or where I could find documentation
to assist me would be appreciated.
tobnull tobnull is offline
Junior Member

Well after tinkering around I think I found away to make it work:

Sub MAIN()
'Retrieve and set information about the current default printer
Dim FPS As FilePrintSetup
GetCurValues FPS
'Set the default Printer
DefaultPrinter$ = FPS.Printer
Sub PrintMODI()
Dim sPrinter As String
sPrinter = ActivePrinter
ActivePrinter = "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer"
Application.PrintOut
ActivePrinter = sPrinter
'Reset to the original default printer

End Sub

seems to work everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnull View Post
Well this works in getting the document image writer to do what I want, however it does not reset to default printer but instead changes default printer to document image writer.

I tried various ways of rewriting the macro but am not having any success.

Should have added this info, my computer is on a network with an assigned printer out of a list on the floor which I work.

Tried adding the printer name to the macro but does not seem to work. Took out the final step, added an extra step but none of my current ideas work, most want me to debug the macro or do nothing.

Suggestions on this final stage of the macro should go to return to the assigned printer?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro as written should return the printer setting as it was when the
macro was run. If you want a more belt and braces approach

Sub PrintMODI()
Dim sCurrentPrinter As String
On Cancel GoTo Cancelled:
sCurrentPrinter = ActivePrinter
ActivePrinter = "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer"
Application.PrintOut FileName:=""
Cancelled:
With Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrintSetup)
.Printer = sCurrentPrinter
.DoNotSetAsSysDefault = False
.Execute
End With
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm

tobnull wrote:-
I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

I need to set up a print macro that prints a template to Microsoft
Office Document Image Writer.

I got the macro set up to engage the printer but not sure how to
proceed on the following steps:

1. I need Microsoft Office Document Image Writer to open

2. then you have to select one of 6 file names

3. save as one of those names then it is saved as a .tiff image

4. then need the printer to reset back to default printer for regular
printing.

I have step one down but unsure how to proceed on the next three
steps.
Any suggestion on the next steps or where I could find documentation
to assist me would be appreciated. -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] tobnull@gmail.com is offline

That worked much better thanks, not sure why the first did not work.