Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew R Andrew R is offline

Default word adding additional text merging e-mail address from access

I am trying to mailmerge a Word document with data from an Access database.
All imports OK except e-mail (and web) addresses.
I get the actual e-mail address from the database but Word (and Excel) also
adds on the email address within # marks with http:// prefixing it (ie
#a href="http://n...pany.co.uk/a#).
When it comes to send the merged document it will not send as Outlook does
not recognise the e-mail address.
How do I remove the # marks and the address between them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Your description does not sound like you are going about the merge to email
in the correct way.

It doesn't matter what is in the document. When you execute a merge to
email, you will be asked to nominate the field in the data source that
contains the email addresses.

What version of Word are you using. If it is XP or later, I suggest that
you select Toolbars from the View menu and then check the Mailmerge item to
display the mailmerge toolbar. On the right hand side of that toolbar there
is a button that can be used for executing the merge to email.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Andrew R" Andrew wrote in message
I am trying to mailmerge a Word document with data from an Access database.
All imports OK except e-mail (and web) addresses.
I get the actual e-mail address from the database but Word (and Excel)
also
adds on the email address within # marks with http:// prefixing it (ie
#a href="http://n...pany.co.uk/a
#).
When it comes to send the merged document it will not send as Outlook does
not recognise the e-mail address.
How do I remove the # marks and the address between them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds as if your e-mail address is stored in an Access hyperlink field.
If so,
a. does it need to be? Can you change it to be a text field? Or add a text
field that just contains the address?
b. you can always create a queryin Access to strip off everything after the
"#"

Peter Jamieson

"Andrew R" Andrew wrote in message
I am trying to mailmerge a Word document with data from an Access database.
All imports OK except e-mail (and web) addresses.
I get the actual e-mail address from the database but Word (and Excel)
also
adds on the email address within # marks with http:// prefixing it (ie
#a href="http://n...pany.co.uk/a
#).
When it comes to send the merged document it will not send as Outlook does
not recognise the e-mail address.
How do I remove the # marks and the address between them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew R Andrew R is offline

Thanks for your reply, what you suggest is actually what I am doing.

The e-mail address is OK in the Access field, it is when it is imported into
Word (or Excel) that the #http//address)# gets added after it.

I am using Office 2003 Professional.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew R Andrew R is offline

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the Access database field properties for the e-mail address
and it is not marked as a hyperlink.
The e-mail address displays OK in Access, it is only when it is imported
into Word (or Excel) that the #http//address)# gets added after the address.

Andrew R

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From your original post, you indicate that the problem is that Outlook will
not send the email because it does not recognise the email address, but from
your later post, it appears that the problem maybe the appearance of the
email address in the body of the document that is being merged.

Which is it? If it is just a matter of sending the merged documents to the
email addresses that are in the data source, there is no need to include the
field containing the email addresses in the document itself and I am not
sure at all how you are going about trying to execute the merge.

Give us more details of the steps that you are taking and we will try and
help.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The thing is that the format you describe is exactly what you do get if you
try to merge a hyperlink field (and notice that you see http: rather than
mailto: despite the fact that it is an email address).

So I'm wondering if there is some other way you can end up with a hyperlink
encoded in this way in a non-hyperlink field.

My guess is still that if you create a query that looks for and discards
everything from the first # and use it as the data source, it will probably
work.

e.g. try a query such as

SELECT *, left(myfield & '#', instr(myfield & '#','#')-1) AS [myaddress]
FROM mytable

where "myfield" is the field containing the e-mail address.

Peter Jamieson
Meanwhile, if you try creating a query that selects the length of your
e-mail address fieldyour e-mail address field

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You were looking at the list of fields in the table design? Not just the
field properties in a form?

Just checking...

Peter Jamieson