Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reporter Reporter is offline

Default What Happens when I send a Word 2007 Document to Someone who does not have the New Fonts?

For example Calibri and Cambria?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To display the text, Word will use fonts that do exist on the
recipient's system. The recipient can specify those replacement
fonts in the Compatibility tab of Tools | Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Reporter" wrote in message
oups.com...
For example Calibri and Cambria?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Reporter,

If the other person has kept Windows somewhat up to date and tries to open a .DocX file in an earlier version of Word they will
be prompted to download the Office 2007 compatibility pack. Installing the compatibility pack allows folks in older versions to
open .docX files and also installs several of the Office 2007 'new' fonts, including Cambria and Calibri.

If you send them a file in .doc (legacy) format and they do not have the compatibility pack installed then as Stefan mentioned,
Windows will use several 'values' to decide what font to substitute by default. This isn't always obvious to the person reading the
document as the font dialog will continue to show the name of the font you chose when authoring the file, not the substituted font.
That can, in turn, affect the layout of your document as viewed by another person.

==============
"Reporter" wrote in message oups.com...
What Happens when I send a Word 2007 Document to Someone who does not have the New Fonts?

For example Calibri and Cambria?

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reporter Reporter is offline

On May 8, 6:42 pm, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
[...]

"Reporter" wrote in ooglegroups.com...
What Happens when I send a Word 2007 Document to Someone who does not have the New Fonts?

For example Calibri and Cambria?

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

I thought it would be something like that. I am not happy. It means
transferring Word Documents is no longer seamless. Bizarre.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Reporter

Reporter wrote:
I thought it would be something like that. I am not happy. It means
transferring Word Documents is no longer seamless. Bizarre.

Nothing has changed in that regard to any of the previous versions: you
can, in Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, use a font X, and send the document
to another person with the same version of Word who has not X installed.
Word will then show a font on its system which it thinks might suit
best, but nothing will prevent repagination of the document in such a
scenario. Completely common way before Word 2007.

With the Compatibility Pack, as Bob writes, the user has even a somewhat
better chance with Word 2007 to see what the sender has written than before.

The fact that the majority of documents, prior to Word 2007, has been
written in Times New Roman and Arial, and a somewhat smaller majority in
Word 2007 will probably be written in Cambria and Calibri, is a
different topic. All in all, if this enhances the awareness about
explicitly deciding what font to choose for a document, all the better,
IMHO.

2cents
Robert
--