Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Cooper Helen Cooper is offline

Default Saving a file with a bibliography as a .doc file causes ref errors

I have a paper I've written in 2007, which no-one with 2003 can open (even
with the compatibilty add-on). I have tried to save it as a 2003 document
but all my citations are changed to [ HYPERLINK \l "label" 1 ] .

This is manageable since I can go through and replace them however it has
also got confused as to what is and what isn't a reference (see fig 3. type
things) and now if I refresh the references half the document dissapears. It
also wont let me edit the text of the references.

Is there a way that I can convert the entire document to static text either
before or after saving it in the older format so that I can submit my paper.

Thanks in Advance.
Helen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To hide field codes in Word, press Alt+F9.

Note that citations and bibliographies will be converted to static text in
Word versions older than Word 2007.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Helen Cooper" wrote in message
I have a paper I've written in 2007, which no-one with 2003 can open (even
with the compatibilty add-on). I have tried to save it as a 2003 document
but all my citations are changed to [ HYPERLINK \l "label" 1 ] .

This is manageable since I can go through and replace them however it has
also got confused as to what is and what isn't a reference (see fig 3.
type
things) and now if I refresh the references half the document dissapears.
It
also wont let me edit the text of the references.

Is there a way that I can convert the entire document to static text
either
before or after saving it in the older format so that I can submit my
paper.

Thanks in Advance.
Helen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Cooper Helen Cooper is offline

Default Saving a file with a bibliography as a .doc file causes ref er

Sorry I must have worded my question badly as I think you have misunderstood
me. These are not field codes - they are the static text that saving a 2007
document as a 2003 one generates.

The conversion doesn't work properly - instead of getting static text [1] I
get static text [ HYPERLINK \l "label" 1 ]

In addition to this areas which were static text (ie just bits I have typed
in 2007) are now appearing highlighted in grey as if they are references to
captions of figures. If I Ctrl-A and F9 then a 10 page document gets reduced
to 4 pages as swathes of text dissapear.

What I want is some sort of 'save in safe mode' which saves the print
version of the file as editable text and graphics but which ignores the fact
that references, bibliography, numbering, equations etc. are 'special'

This is the first time I've had to write a paper in Word and it's been a far
from pleasant experience so please bear with me if I'm sounding a little
stressed!

Cheers
Helen

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves[_2_] Yves[_2_] is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
[...]

It sounds like your fields are going totally haywire. I'm not sure as
to what causes this.

What happens if you save it as an rtf file rather than a Word 97-2003
doc file? Or is that not an option?

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I have to agree that something seems to be seriously wrong with the file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Yves" wrote in message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Cooper Helen Cooper is offline

Hmm, I saved it as an RTF, closed it then re-opened it and all the links were
still there, the bibliography, everything. I can even hit F9 and it updates
all the references. (which is another point, when you update the contents of
a reference why does word insist on undoing all the formating you've
carefully chosen and applied?!)

Agreed, something is iffy with the references. I tried in the 2007 format
to 'convert citation to static text' and the same thing happened, the first
one I did caused several other issues to appear in the document, same as if
I'd saved the file as a .doc It doesn't matter which citation I try, they
all have the same effect.

I have got round the issue by replacing all citations with my own static
text, not a quick solution but it serves for today's deadline! Now when I
save as a .doc the conversion happens without any problems. There are no
spurious }'s and static text is as always static text.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I have to agree that something seems to be seriously wrong with the file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Yves" wrote in message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves[_2_] Yves[_2_] is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
I have to agree that something seems to be seriously wrong with the file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Yves" wrote in message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
[...]

Citations are locked from editing specifically to prevent you from
editing or applying partial formatting. By default, citation fields
inherit the paragraph style of the paragraph they belong to. You can
assign them a specific character style which will remain after an
update but the style has to be applied to the entire field. You can
not select part of the field and apply a bold font to that. You can,
if you have some xml/xslt knowledge, some basic characteristics
(bold, ...) can be changed within the style file.

If you want to manipulate (the formatting of) parts of the result of
the citation field, you will have to convert it to static text first.

Yves
--
http://bibliography.codeplex.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Cooper Helen Cooper is offline

it was more the bibliography, I make it the size and font I want with the
correct line spacing, I update it and the whole lot reverts to what it was
before.

As a word user I shouldn't have to edit an xml file to choose what font etc
my references are displayed in.