Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

Default Form field in header

I am so confused. I read the Useful StyleRef Tricks but obviously am missing
something. I need to insert a check box form field in the header of a form
for page 2 and succeeding pages. I created the character style with no
problem but how do i get the check box in the header and apply the style.
When I tried to put the box in it said form fields cannot be inserted into a
header, which I know, but thought this styleref trick was a workaround. I
tried applying the style to the check box and then putting it in the header
but that didn't work either. I need help and appreciate any assistance.
--
Stella Rivera
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A STYLEREF field will only be useful to repeat the text of a *text form
field*.

If you want a check box above the top margin, insert it in a frame anchored
to an ordinary text paragraph but positioned on top of the header area.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stella Rivera" wrote in message
I am so confused. I read the Useful StyleRef Tricks but obviously am
missing
something. I need to insert a check box form field in the header of a
form
for page 2 and succeeding pages. I created the character style with no
problem but how do i get the check box in the header and apply the style.
When I tried to put the box in it said form fields cannot be inserted into
header, which I know, but thought this styleref trick was a workaround. I
tried applying the style to the check box and then putting it in the
header
but that didn't work either. I need help and appreciate any assistance.
--
Stella Rivera

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify: Of course, such a form field won't repeat. As far as I know,
there is no way to have a check box form field repeat in Word. Someone else
might know a way to do this, though. If you don't get a reply here, ask in a
programming newsgroup such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The StyleRef trick is a workaround for the fact that REF fields in a header
or footer don't update automatically in a protected form. It is not a
workaround for the fact that you can't put form fields in a header or
footer.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stella Rivera" wrote in message
I am so confused. I read the Useful StyleRef Tricks but obviously am
missing
something. I need to insert a check box form field in the header of a
form
for page 2 and succeeding pages. I created the character style with no
problem but how do i get the check box in the header and apply the style.
When I tried to put the box in it said form fields cannot be inserted into
header, which I know, but thought this styleref trick was a workaround. I
tried applying the style to the check box and then putting it in the
header
but that didn't work either. I need help and appreciate any assistance.
--
Stella Rivera

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your explanation was better than mine... :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you said was all true and to the point; it's possible that my answer
better cleared up the initial confusion.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Agreed.

--