Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kiwichick

Default text alignment in a text box

I have come across several topics regarding aligning text vertically and
horizontally in a text box in Microsoft Word and the general consenus seems
to be that there is no function to do this. I can't get it to do it either.

So can anyone answer me this?

I am running Microsoft Word 2002 and in the Help Topics it specifically says:

To align vertically oriented text within the top and bottom edges of
the AutoShape or text box, use the Align Top, Center, Align Bottom,
and Justify buttons on the Formatting toolbar.

I have checked the Formatting toolbar and the Format menu and neither one
have these options. I have gone through the "Customize" and "Add or Remove
Buttons" options for the Formatting toolbar but they aren't there either. Why
is this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

The key item you missed or misunderstood was "vertically oriented
text". When the cursor is inside a text box, the Text Box toolbar
displays, and the rightmost button on it is "Change Text Direction".
Clicking that button once or twice rotates the text 90 degrees
clockwise or counterclockwise. When the text is rotated, the Align
Left and Align Right buttons on the Formatting toolbar change into
Align Top and Align Bottom.

When text is rotated 90 degrees clockwise and Align Bottom is pressed,
the effect is the same as if you first clicked Align Right and then
rotated the text.

There still is no convenient way to take text in the normal
orientation and place it at the bottom of a text box, or to center it
between the top and bottom. You have to use the Space Before
formatting in the Paragraph dialog and adjust by eye.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:16:02 -0800, kiwichick
wrote:

I have come across several topics regarding aligning text vertically and
horizontally in a text box in Microsoft Word and the general consenus seems
to be that there is no function to do this. I can't get it to do it either.

So can anyone answer me this?

I am running Microsoft Word 2002 and in the Help Topics it specifically says:

To align vertically oriented text within the top and bottom edges of
the AutoShape or text box, use the Align Top, Center, Align Bottom,
and Justify buttons on the Formatting toolbar.

I have checked the Formatting toolbar and the Format menu and neither one
have these options. I have gone through the "Customize" and "Add or Remove
Buttons" options for the Formatting toolbar but they aren't there either. Why
is this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

I think it's more trouble than it's worth, but you can put a one cell table
inside the textbox. Set the cell size to match the textbox, then format the
cell as vertically centered (Table Properties Cell) and horizontally
centered (Format Paragraph).