sargb sargb is offline
Junior Member

Default I'd like tab to set indent for bullets but not for paragraphs

My old installation of Word would use the tab key to set the indent ONLY for bullets and numbering, but NOT for regular paragraphs. I installed exactly the same software on my new computer (with Windows 7 instead of Windows XP) and this functionality seems to be lost. I can turn "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" on or off, but it always applies this setting both to bullets and regular paragraphs, rather than permitting different behavior depending on the context.

I'm using Word 2003, installed on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system. My previous system, on which the setting worked the way I want it to, was XP Pro.

Does anyone have any guesses about why the behavior is different on this system or suggestions for how to change it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that a paragraph contains text, Word will add a first line
indent to an unnumbered paragraph when you Tab with the insertion point
at the very beginning of the paragraph; I have seen this behavior in (at
least) Word 2007 and 2010, using both Windows XP and Windows 7.

Note that you can always force a tab character to be inserted if you
hold the Ctrl key as you press Tab.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP