Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
parkview parkview is offline

Default MS Word does not spell check

I have a document created in an earlier version of MS Word. I now use MS
Office Professional 2007. Regardless the document itself will not work with
spell check. Word tells me everything is correct. I have read the blogs and
tried all the suggestions, language boxes, options for spelling, re-loaded
software, updates and nothing is helping in this one document which is not
€śprotected or locked€ť I can make changes to it just no mistakes or the are
not caught by spell check. I do not wish to re-type this whole document, any
suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

If you have done all the usually Spell Check cures and have looked at the
following webpage: http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm
then possibly the document has corrupted.

Several options to try:
1. Open and Repair, in the File Open dialog, there is a downward-pointing
arrow on the right end of the Open button. After choosing the file, click
that arrow to get a small menu. Click "Open and Repair" in that menu.
2. Copying all but the last paragraph mark into a new document.
3. Open new blank file; Insert, File.
4. If these doesn't work, try opening the document in WordPad.
5. If all else fails, go back to the Open dialog in Word and set the "Files
of type" box to "Recover Text from Any File". You'll get a lot of garbage,
but some or all of the text should be there.

Good luck
DeanH

"parkview" wrote:

I have a document created in an earlier version of MS Word. I now use MS
Office Professional 2007. Regardless the document itself will not work with
spell check. Word tells me everything is correct. I have read the blogs and
tried all the suggestions, language boxes, options for spelling, re-loaded
software, updates and nothing is helping in this one document which is not
€śprotected or locked€ť I can make changes to it just no mistakes or the are
not caught by spell check. I do not wish to re-type this whole document, any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Young Richard Young is offline

What ended up fixing this issue was turning on the €śReveal formatting€ť Option
and highlighting the text that would not spell check then clicking on the
Language link in the Reveal Formatting windows pane and un checking €śDo not
Check Spelling or grammar€ť.

Click on Format then Reveal Formatting

Next click Highlight the text that is not spell checking and you will notice
in the right pane, that underneath the language option, it will change to €śDo
not Check Spelling or grammar€ť

At this point you will need to click on Language in the right windows pane
and uncheck the box of €śDo not Check Spelling or grammar€ť I did notice that
if you try to highlight more than two pages of text at a time. The
Un-checking of €śDo not Check Spelling or grammar€ť option will not work.
(Important not to highlight more than two pages of text.)

Continue doing this until you have reached the end of your document, two
pages at a time.

--
Richard Young
MCP * 4 -2000

"parkview" wrote:

I have a document created in an earlier version of MS Word. I now use MS
Office Professional 2007. Regardless the document itself will not work with
spell check. Word tells me everything is correct. I have read the blogs and
tried all the suggestions, language boxes, options for spelling, re-loaded
software, updates and nothing is helping in this one document which is not
€śprotected or locked€ť I can make changes to it just no mistakes or the are
not caught by spell check. I do not wish to re-type this whole document, any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Much simpler to Ctrl+A to select the entire document, then go to Tools |
Language | Set Language and clear the "Do not check..." check box.

"Richard Young" wrote in message
What ended up fixing this issue was turning on the "Reveal formatting"
Option
and highlighting the text that would not spell check then clicking on the
Language link in the Reveal Formatting windows pane and un checking "Do
not
Check Spelling or grammar".

Click on Format then Reveal Formatting

Next click Highlight the text that is not spell checking and you will
notice
in the right pane, that underneath the language option, it will change to
"Do
not Check Spelling or grammar"

At this point you will need to click on Language in the right windows pane
and uncheck the box of "Do not Check Spelling or grammar" I did notice
that
if you try to highlight more than two pages of text at a time. The
Un-checking of "Do not Check Spelling or grammar" option will not work.

"parkview" wrote:

I have a document created in an earlier version of MS Word. I now use MS
Office Professional 2007. Regardless the document itself will not work
with
spell check. Word tells me everything is correct. I have read the blogs
and
tried all the suggestions, language boxes, options for spelling,
re-loaded
software, updates and nothing is helping in this one document which is
not
"protected or locked" I can make changes to it just no mistakes or the