Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Medser Medser is offline

Default Can you increase the height of paragraph shading?

Hi there,

I've created a Heading stylesheet with paragraph shading. The client doesn't
like how the shading makes the text appear 'squashed' and wants more space
between the text and where the shading ends, i.e. making the shading a bigger
height (top and bottom) than the text. Is this possible?

Mel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You don't mention the version of Word you are using, the following is for
2003 and prior, 2007 may differ slightly but essentially the same.
Changing the height of the paragraph, i.e. distance between paragraphs, go
to Format, Paragraph, change the spacing Before and After.
To change the distance between the lines within the paragraph, change the
Line Spacing on the same dialog. Test several setting but a Multiple setting
of say 1.1 or 1.2 may be a good place to start.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Medser" wrote:

Hi there,

I've created a Heading stylesheet with paragraph shading. The client doesn't
like how the shading makes the text appear 'squashed' and wants more space
between the text and where the shading ends, i.e. making the shading a bigger
height (top and bottom) than the text. Is this possible?

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Medser Medser is offline

Sorry, I'm using 2003.

I did already try what you suggested but it doesn't work. Spacing before &
after para changes nothing about the shading, and line height DOES add more
shading underneath the text, but not above. So the result is uneven & looks
worse.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Mel

"Medser" wrote:

Hi there,

I've created a Heading stylesheet with paragraph shading. The client doesn't
like how the shading makes the text appear 'squashed' and wants more space
between the text and where the shading ends, i.e. making the shading a bigger
height (top and bottom) than the text. Is this possible?

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Yep, this is a restriction when it come to paragraph shading.
How about a borderless table cell with the shading, then you can centre the
text vertically?
--
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Medser" wrote:

Hi there,

I've created a Heading stylesheet with paragraph shading. The client doesn't
like how the shading makes the text appear 'squashed' and wants more space
between the text and where the shading ends, i.e. making the shading a bigger
height (top and bottom) than the text. Is this possible?

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Medser Medser is offline

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your suggestion but I was hoping something a bit more stylesheet
'friendly' for the novice clients.

Anyway, I managed to achieve what I wanted with a combination of line height
(1.4 - thanks for the tip) AND font position lowered 6pt. Yay!

Mel

"Medser" wrote:

Hi there,

I've created a Heading stylesheet with paragraph shading. The client doesn't
like how the shading makes the text appear 'squashed' and wants more space
between the text and where the shading ends, i.e. making the shading a bigger
height (top and bottom) than the text. Is this possible?

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can add up to 31 points above or below the heading by adding a border as
well as shading. Make the border the same color as the shading (or white if
you prefer), then, in the Borders dialog, click options to set "From text"
as desired. And Spacing Above will be added above this shading/border.

http://word.mvps.org