Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SlavetoWasabi SlavetoWasabi is offline

Default KB Article 292155 (Word found locked fields...) and Word 2007

I have a mail merge main document, and in it I've inserted text boxes that
are aligned to the corresponding text. When I perform the mail merge, I get
an error message that states "Word found locked fields during the update.
Word cannot update locked fields." This problem is described in KB Article
292155, which doesn't list Word 2007 as being affected by this problem, but
it appears that it is still happening in Word 2007. Is this because my
document is saved in Word 2003 format, or is this really still a problem with
Word 2007? I sure would like to be able to align the text boxes with the
corresponding text.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. As far as I know the problem does still occur in Word 2007, but only
if you inserted your text box ina way that would autmatically inserty a
Drawing Canvas (as described in the KB article). It's the Drawing Canvas
that is represented by the { SHAPE } field, not the text box.

2. AFAICS in Word 2007, if Word-Office Button-Word
Options-Advanced-Editing options-Automatically insert drawing canvas
when inserting AutoShapes is checked, then
a. if you insert your text boxes by using Insert-Shapes, you will get
a drawing canvas (you can see because "Create your drawing here." is
displayed in grey in a rectangular area). If you click in there to
create your text box, the box will be created in the drawing frame and
you will see the problem. If you happen to click outside the drawing
frame when you insert your text box, it seems to me that the drawing
canvas is "uninserted" and you should not get this problem. However, I
am certainly no expert on Word 2007 graphics so there's no need to take
my word for it :-)
b. if you insert your text boxes by using Insert-Text box, you do not
get a text box and the problem should not occur.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk