Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dave[_2_] Dave[_2_] is offline

Default Keeping the format from an Excell cell

When merging in an excell file that contains a quantity eg 2.34, it shows in
the merge as 2.3400000002 or similar.

Is there a way of preventing this please?
--
Dave P
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a numeric switch on the field -

Dave wrote:
When merging in an excell file that contains a quantity eg 2.34, it
shows in the merge as 2.3400000002 or similar.

Is there a way of preventing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dave[_2_] Dave[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham, Thanks for that, it certainly seems the right answer but I'm
afraid I am still unsure as to how to apply your answer. Can you please
explain exactly where I put this {MergeField} \#0.00 in relation to my
Qty merge field that I insert into my WORD document?

Thanks

Dave P

Dave wrote:
When merging in an excell file that contains a quantity eg 2.34, it
shows in the merge as 2.3400000002 or similar.

Is there a way of preventing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Press ALT+F9
Qty will appear as
{MERGEFIELD Qty}
add the switch inside the bracket
{MERGEFIELD Qty \# "0.00"}
Press Alt +F9 then F9 to update.

Dave wrote:
When merging in an excell file that contains a quantity eg 2.34, it
shows in the merge as 2.3400000002 or similar.

Is there a way of preventing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dave[_2_] Dave[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham

Got it now thanks. Certainly not very easy to teach people new to Mailmerge
eh? I teach Adults and thought I would show them merging data from a
spreadsheet into a mailmerge. Why did I have to go and pick a quantity field?

There really ought to be an easier way.

Thanks again

Dave
--
Dave P

Dave wrote:
When merging in an excell file that contains a quantity eg 2.34, it
shows in the merge as 2.3400000002 or similar.

Is there a way of preventing this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when
you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
given the option of using the DDE method of connection which should read the
data as you have it formatted in the table.

Note that DDE is less reliable which is one reason why Microsoft has changed
the data connection method to read the raw data from Excel. Formatting
fields is no big deal, but rather than insert the fields and modify them, it
is much quicker and easier to add them from the keyboard using CTRL+F9 for
the field boundaries.

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm as a merge
primer and also http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm