Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LairdofSleaford

Default How do I set up comments with no formatting showing?

I am an adult literacy tutor and want to find out if I can make comments show
up with no author or comment No. information? The idea is that a learner
hovers over a word and can see synonyms, alternate spellings etc, without the
formatting info of the comment also showing up.

I use Word 2003 in XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

I don't believe you can do precisely what you want in Word. You could,
however, use footnotes or endnotes. When you hover over the reference mark,
the contents of the footnote or endnote is displayed in a popup tooltip.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
I am an adult literacy tutor and want to find out if I can make comments
show
up with no author or comment No. information? The idea is that a learner
hovers over a word and can see synonyms, alternate spellings etc, without
the
formatting info of the comment also showing up.

I use Word 2003 in XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LairdofSleaford

Hi

I was on a training course earlier today, where they were using 2000 I think
and the comment formatting didn't seem to show. Do yoiu think this is
something version specific?

Thanks for your iead I will try it tomorrow (it is midnight here in the UK)!

Regards

Gordon

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I don't believe you can do precisely what you want in Word. You could,
however, use footnotes or endnotes. When you hover over the reference mark,
the contents of the footnote or endnote is displayed in a popup tooltip.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"LairdofSleaford" wrote in
message ...
I am an adult literacy tutor and want to find out if I can make comments
show
up with no author or comment No. information? The idea is that a learner
hovers over a word and can see synonyms, alternate spellings etc, without
the
formatting info of the comment also showing up.

I use Word 2003 in XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

In Word 2000, the reviewer's initials still show up in the text, along with
the comment number, and the reviewer's name shows up in the tooltip text
when you hover the mouse over the comment.

If you choose to go the footnote/endnote route, you can eliminate the number
by specifying an arbitrary reference symbol instead of letting it use
numbers. Of course, you'd need to do this each time you insert a footnote or
endnote, and unfortunately, Word won't let you use just a space.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I don't believe you can do precisely what you want in Word. You could,
however, use footnotes or endnotes. When you hover over the reference
mark,
the contents of the footnote or endnote is displayed in a popup tooltip.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"LairdofSleaford" wrote in
message ...
I am an adult literacy tutor and want to find out if I can make comments
show
up with no author or comment No. information? The idea is that a
learner
hovers over a word and can see synonyms, alternate spellings etc,
without
the
formatting info of the comment also showing up.

I use Word 2003 in XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arthegall Arthegall is offline

This is a great idea. I wish Word did this.
I'm working with a Latin document and I'm trying to insert parsing and
vocabulary information for individual words so that I can get it simply by
moving the mouse over the word. Seeing "Comment:" over and over is annoying,
as is all of the date and reviewer information.

"LairdofSleaford" wrote:

I am an adult literacy tutor and want to find out if I can make comments show
up with no author or comment No. information? The idea is that a learner
hovers over a word and can see synonyms, alternate spellings etc, without the
formatting info of the comment also showing up.

I use Word 2003 in XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arthegall Arthegall is offline

This was a great solution for me.
I insert a footnote with a custom mark, click on the symbol button, and pick
the first symbol listed which is a blank space. That way each word is not
followed by a number or some other visible symbol, and I still get my
information when I put the mouse over the word.

However for users who wanted to take advantage of the cool bubble printing
features of Comments when printing and still have date and time stamp-less
mouse activated info, then a modified comments function would be the best
solution. Nudge. Nudge.