Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default TOC extension

I've started writing a book and used notepad to write web pages that I
could control.

My son persuaded me to use word with a TOC. I created fourteen
chapters using Heading 1. Now I want more chapters in the existing
TOC and I can't work it out.

Could anyone help please.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The ToC is just a field. Click anywhere in the ToC and the field will be
selected: now press F9 (the Update Field button) and choose the correct
option.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message
I've started writing a book and used notepad to write web pages that I
could control.

My son persuaded me to use word with a TOC. I created fourteen
chapters using Heading 1. Now I want more chapters in the existing
TOC and I can't work it out.

Could anyone help please.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Thanks

For others who are considering this problem I found that typing "edit
TOC" gave me the right help.

The two option were just update page numbers to existing chapters or
update the entire TOC. That gave me a further problem. I had keyed
text into the TOC to indicate chapter subject matter. If I update the
entire TOC it started from scratch and found all the chapter but all
the text was lost. Updating the pages simply adjusted the pages for
the previously known chapters.

The light dawned: keep the text in the actual chapter headings then
the text is always found when it works through the entire document.

However, is there anyway to jump backwards from the chapter to the
TOC?

Thank you.

Colin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In Word 2003 (and perhaps 2002 as well), there is a Go To TOC button that
you can add to the toolbar (through Tools | Customize). This works well
unless you have used TC fields in the document, which for some reason breaks
it. You will also find that the Back button from the Web toolbar (which can
be copied to another toolbar) generally works, as does the keyboard shortcut
Alt+Left Arrow.

wrote in message

Thanks

For others who are considering this problem I found that typing "edit
TOC" gave me the right help.

The two option were just update page numbers to existing chapters or
update the entire TOC. That gave me a further problem. I had keyed
text into the TOC to indicate chapter subject matter. If I update the
entire TOC it started from scratch and found all the chapter but all
the text was lost. Updating the pages simply adjusted the pages for
the previously known chapters.

The light dawned: keep the text in the actual chapter headings then
the text is always found when it works through the entire document.

However, is there anyway to jump backwards from the chapter to the
TOC?

Thank you.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Colin Bearfield Colin Bearfield is offline

That's fine.

Thank you.

I've used word for more than 10 years (now on 2003) but not had any
use for the more arcane features. It's good to know.

Colin

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:05:51 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

In Word 2003 (and perhaps 2002 as well), there is a Go To TOC button that
you can add to the toolbar (through Tools | Customize). This works well
unless you have used TC fields in the document, which for some reason breaks
it. You will also find that the Back button from the Web toolbar (which can
be copied to another toolbar) generally works, as does the keyboard shortcut
Alt+Left Arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I've been using Word since 1992, and I have no use for this feature either,
really. Every time I want to quote the keyboard shortcut for the Back
button, I have to go into Tools | Customize to turn on the "Shortcut keys in
ScreenTips" feature, then display the Web toolbar and mouse over the Back
button. g