Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
prophetic1 prophetic1 is offline

Default Word 2003 files take excessive time to open except from within Wor

Word .doc files from desktop or windows explorer take 122 seconds to open a
blank Word screen (no document 1) and another 60 seconds to display the
file.
I can start Word and open files from inside just fine, and the recent files
works too.
Tried the OPEN WITH trick to no avail. Saw a tech site post from a previous
version that said to regedit and remove the .doc from one of the registry
keys and then use the "open with" right click on the desktop file. It worked
for the one asking the question- but not for me. Still the same old thing.
Running Windows XP, Media Edition, Word 2003, Student Teacher edition.
Tried service pack 3 then uninstalled because of all the problems and had to
install some fix to use the previous Word files- and then they were working
fine.
Then this started again about a week or so ago. I did install some more
dreaded updates that killed my computer and I had to use restore point to get
it to boot.
I am unsure of how long after that that I noticed this problem.
Any other information needed that I did not include please ask. And thanks
in advance.