Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Pedersen David Pedersen is offline

Default Word 2007 Table of Contents gremlin

I created a table of contents for a document that I was given. The document
I was given was produced by merging several Word documents in the 97-2003
format. I was able to make the changes I need, including applying styles
that I could get to appear in the table of contents. One of the TOC lines,
however, has a problem. Between the number and title of the section, there
appears to be a hidden character...a tab, perhaps. It produces as line of
spaces between the section number and section title in the TOC, where none is
visible in the corresponding spot in the body of the document. I have tried
almost everything to remove this gremlin (including copying the appropriate
section of body text, deleting it from the Word document, pasting the section
into Notepad, editing out everything but alpha characters, and then pasting
it back into the Word document and then reformatting the text), but it always
comes back. I cannot find it with any known Word 2007 function, or by using
another editor (the aforementioned Notepad).

Any ideas?

I can edit the character out of the TOC directly, but as soon as I update
the entire TOC, the line of spaces returns.

Help???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This sounds pretty bizarre. If you copy just the troublesome bits to a new
document, and insert a TOC there, does the oddity still occur?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"David Pedersen" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Pedersen David Pedersen is offline

No! It did not recur! That fixed it. Obviously something was fouled up in
the document.

Thanks!
David

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Pedersen David Pedersen is offline

But with your help, I was able to chase him off. Thanks!
David