Doru Daroczi

Default User formfields reset when mailmerge document

Hello,

I have created a form to send to users and used formfields for them to enter
data.

My plan was to do a mailmerge using this form once I get it back from users.

For some reason the formfields are reset by word once I select my data
source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in desperate need for a
solution.

Note: I found a solution to avoid field reset when protecting/unprotecting
forms but that does not help with this.

Many thanks,
Doru

Charles Kenyon

Formfields and mailmerge are fundamentally incompatible in Word. You could
perhaps unlink the formfields once the form is returned to you and then
perform your mailmerge.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Doru Daroczi" wrote in message
Hello,

I have created a form to send to users and used formfields for them to
enter data.

My plan was to do a mailmerge using this form once I get it back from
users.

For some reason the formfields are reset by word once I select my data
source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in desperate need for a
solution.

Note: I found a solution to avoid field reset when protecting/unprotecting
forms but that does not help with this.

Many thanks,
Doru

Doru Daroczi

Thanks for feedback Charles.

What do you mean by unlink the formfields?

I currently found the following workaround:
- before doing the mailmerge I am running a small macro that takes each
formfield content and makes it the default text value for that specific
formfield. This way, the content is kept when running the mailmerge.

Cheers,
Doru

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Doug Robbins

Ctrl+Shift+F9

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
[...]

Doru Daroczi

That is a great trick. Thanks.

Unfortunatelly I have about 20 fields on a form and the forms keep on
flowing in. I needed something more automatic and the macro does the trick.
I will however redesign the whole form at next occasion.

Cheers,
Doru

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
Ctrl+Shift+F9

[...]

Charles Kenyon

If your macro is giving you the default value for each field, why bother
sending it out at all? If it is giving you the current value, that is the
equivalent of unlinking the field.