Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Blaise

Default Change non-numbered heading to numbered heading in sequence Wd 97

Hope someone remembers Word 97 here. I'm updating a document which has
outline numbered headings.

1.0 MAIN HEADING
1.1 Subhead level 2
1.1.1 Subhead level 3
1.1.1.1 Subhead level 4
Subhead level 5

As you can see, Subhead level 5 is not a numbered heading. However, the
author now wants to have a numbered Subhead level 5 and a non-numbered
subhead level 6. My problem is that when I try to change subhead level 5 to
outline numbered format, it doesn't follow the sequence, but seems to want to
restart with 1. For example,

1.0 Main Heading Section 1
2.0 Main Heading Section 2
2.1 Subhead level 2, section 2
2.1.1 Subhead level 3, section 2
2.1.1.1 Subhead level 4, section 2
1.1.1.1 Subhead level 5, section 2 -- should be 2.1.1.1.1

I've tried so many different permutations trying to get this to work that
I'm not sure it's useful for me to describe them all. I've checked the
restart and continue options. I've based the level 5 subhead on the level 4
subhead. The only thing that makes sense is that somehow I'm not able to
access or add onto the sequential outline numbered list that subhead levels
1-4 are using.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.