Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jyl jyl is offline

Default Index and Tables

I have a document with section breaks for various modules. I have screen
shots throughout and using Index and Tables to number my screen shots as
figures.
Is there a way to restart the numbering back to 1 at each section break. I
will not be using a Table of Figures.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

How did you use Index and Tables to create the figure numbers?
Do you mean you have used Captions?
Then an option on the Captions dialog is to include the Chapter number
(Numbering button), this automatically restarts numbering after the occurance
of a style, such as the Heading 1, which hopefully you have used for your
Module sections.
Add a new Caption with the Chapter Number included, and, hey-presto, all
your Captions will change. If they need refreshing, Ctrl+A (to select the
whole document), F9.

Word cannot change the numbering after a Section Break, unless someone has a
macro that can do it.
Instead of using a Section Break everytime you want to start a new chapter,
add the setting "Page Break Before" (under Format Paragraph) to your Heading
1 style. Section Breaks are best for major changes in the document, such as
adding a landscape section within a portrait document or new Headers and/or
Footer (even then using Fields such as StyleRef can help here).

Hope this helps
DeanH