Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lois Lois is offline

Default Spellchecker did not catch "prosedure."

Why would the spellchecker miss this obvious error? I checked if it was in
my custom dictionary, and it's not.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select just the word and go to Tools | Language | Set Language to make sure
that it is not formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar."

"Lois" wrote in message
news
Why would the spellchecker miss this obvious error? I checked if it was

in
my custom dictionary, and it's not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?TG9pcw==?=,

With the word still selected, go back to this dialog box. What LANGUAGE is
selected?

I tried your suggestion; however, "Do not check spelling or grammar." was

not
checked.

Select just the word and go to Tools | Language | Set Language to make

sure
that it is not formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar."

Why would the spellchecker miss this obvious error? I checked if it was in
my custom dictionary, and it's not.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?TG9pcw==?=,

English U.S.

OK, then we're coming around full circle... If the language is correct, and the
rest of us see that Word does recognize the term "prosedure" as an error, then one
more test:

1. Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar.

2. Click the "Recheck Document" button (or similar if you're not using Word 2003).
Click "Yes", the "OK".

3. Press F7 to force a full spell-check. Does it pick up the term?

If not, go back to Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar and click on "Custom
Dictionaries". Is more than one listed? If yes, check in the one(s) you didn't
look in, before.

With the word still selected, go back to this dialog box. What LANGUAGE is
selected?

I tried your suggestion; however, "Do not check spelling or grammar." was

not
checked.

Select just the word and go to Tools | Language | Set Language to make

sure
that it is not formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar."

Why would the spellchecker miss this obvious error? I checked if it was in
my custom dictionary, and it's not.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lois Lois is offline

Sorry, Cindy, but neither suggestion panned out. When I reset Spellchecker,
it still missed "prosedure." I checked my custom dictionary and "prosedure"
is not in the list of words. I'm wondering if my Spellchecker is corrupted.
Anyone know how to reinstall it? I've also noticed that the grammar check
misses errors, too, and my previous version of Word (2000) would have caught
these.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lois Lois is offline

Here's the answer! The spellchecker was set to ignore words in upppercase,
and PROSEDURE was in all caps. When I typed "prosedure," it was caught as an
error, but PROSEDURE was not identified until I unchecked "Ignore words in
UPPERCASE" in Spelling and Grammer in the Options menu. Mystery solved!

Thanks to all who helped out with this.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Lois,

Here's the answer! The spellchecker was set to ignore words in upppercase,
and PROSEDURE was in all caps. When I typed "prosedure," it was caught as an
error, but PROSEDURE was not identified until I unchecked "Ignore words in
UPPERCASE" in Spelling and Grammer in the Options menu. Mystery solved!

whewGlad you tracked it down. It's always important to show EXACTLY what was
used. If we'd seen all caps, someone probably would have twigged much earlier
:-)

Cindy Meister