Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Default Date Field-CREATEDATE etc

I need clarification on using date fields in templates and/or non-templates
(.doc) in Word 2000

I have form files (letter format) that I merge via Excel to obtain a "new"
document that is then saved to a folder under client name.

I want the form file to update the date daily to the current date when I
open it (not its original created date.) I want to then merge that form file
to create a "new" file/document with the current date and maintain that same
date when saved. When that "new" document is opened a day or a month or a
year later, I do not want the date to change from its original saved date.
However, I do want the form file to reflect upon each opening the current
date so that the resulting new document created via the merge will then have
the current date and maintain it with save.

I have tried the CREATEDATE with date switch on templates and non-templates.
That only sets the form document to maintain its originally created date.
It does not then auto change to the current date with each opening.

Is what I want to do possible. We are manually changing the date each time
we open a form file to the correct date. Since the files are read-only to
everyone else in the office that becomes a problem, if that same form file is
opened several times in the day. As well if the form file has not been used
since January 1, 2006 and it is now March 7, 2007, I want the user to be able
to open the form file and the March 7, 2007 show. If I open the form file
tomorrow I want that date to be March 8, 2007. I want the resulting "new"
document created on March 7, 2007 via merge to maintain the March 7, 2007
date after saving and not auto update with each new opening of the document
after initial save.

Thank you,
--
John R.