Default Web application: Export and merge

Hi:

I am sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find too
much related info by searching.

I have built a web application (ASP.Net) from where I need to print
some labels and faxes. The way I am planning on doing this is by
exporting the data to comma separated file to the users disk and then
using a Word document that uses the excel/CSV file to do a Mail Merge.
I thought I would install the application on the server and distribute
the Word document to my clients' local computers.

However, the mail merge that works on my development computer has
problems at my client's computer. I emailed them the same files and
asked them to save those files to the desktop. (I later realized that
saving the files to desktop could be teh problem since the path to
Excel file may have my profile name in it but have not had a chance to
try it out in another directory.)

There are two main problems that I am seeing:
1. Sql command warning on opening the document
2. Data source missing

#1 I can live with. But #2 bothers me. I get the same error on my end
and pressing cancel still opens the document and does the merge. My
client gets the error and nothing happens after pressing cancel.

I don't know what is going on and I have not found much resources on
the net explaining this mail merge behavior (I have seen the mvps
website detailing the step-by-step on mail merge and that does not help
because I can create the mail merge using the failry intuitive wizard.
I have also seen some KB articles but they don't help either.)

If anyone has some experience with problem #2 and is willing to share
their knowledge, it will be appreciated.

Also if anyone has done something similar (printing labels and faxes),
I am willing to change the whole process. One idea that occurred to me
was to save the Word document as HTML and use that as a base for
generating faxes and labels on the web server. I have not had a chance
to experiment with this but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Doug Robbins

See the following Knowledge Base article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document - 825765 at:

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks Doug. But that is the least of my problems.