Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
magicdds-[_2_] magicdds-[_2_] is offline

Default Group multiple items for a single condition

On Cindy Meister's web page:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

she suggests one way to Group multiple items for a single condition is to:

You can create a user-defined function in your Access database that
concatenates all items for the list into a single string. Place this function
in an expression in the query you will be using as a datasource so that it
can be selected as a single field in the mail merge. Please note that this
method only works when the merge link method is DDE; ODBC drivers do not
recognize user-defined functions. An example of such a function and a query
using it is in the file WdAcc95.zip for Office 95 (51 KB); WdAcc97.zip for
Office 97 and later (131 KB).

I now have the concatinated single string merging into my Word document.
Does anyone know what I should do with it so that the items will print in a
list?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you defined your concatenate function so that it inserted a special
character between each item in the list, you could then use edit replace in
Word to replace those characters with a carriage return.

However, why not just use an Access report?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"magicdds-" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
magicdds-[_2_] magicdds-[_2_] is offline

I can't use an Access report because I want the user to take the data that is
being merged to Word and create a custom letter that they design, according
to their desire. When the user clicks on a button on a form, Albert Kallal's
letter merging form is opened. The user can create a letter using the
mergefields from a query in the database. One of the mergefields is the
concatinated data. The user will be using Access's forms, but will not be
able to write their own reports.

If I have a comma in between each item in the list, could you tell me how to
use edit replace to replace the commas. (I never used edit replace before.)

Thanks
Mark

"magicdds-" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
magicdds-[_2_] magicdds-[_2_] is offline

I forgot to add that if you meant that I should use the Edit on the menu bar
and then click on Replace, I am looking for the commas to be replaced
automatically during the merge and also that only the commas in the
mergefield get replaced, not he whole letter. I would need for the
replacement of the commas to be coded in to take place during the merge.

Thanks
Mark

"magicdds-" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is time to realise that there are somethings that mail merge cannot do.
Maybe a "roll-your-own" vba equivalent to mail merge is what you will need.

--

"magicdds-" wrote in message
[...]

Group multiple items for a single condition - in a table? Beth Obenshain Mailmerge 1 January 12th 07 06:24 PM
Group items in same account on same letter. Simon Mailmerge 2 January 11th 07 06:15 PM
Multiple IF condition Susan Mailmerge 2 February 14th 06 07:26 AM
Multiple items per condition Zanari Mailmerge 3 August 22nd 05 02:31 PM
Multiple items per condition Mary Mailmerge 1 April 13th 05 08:29 AM