Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
shfrier shfrier is offline

Default numerical records sorted in a query carrying over to Word Mail Mer

I have created a query that sorts Access db records numerically in a text
field so that the result of the query is correct. 1, 2, 10, etc. However,
when I try to use this query in a mail merge the records appear as 1, 10, 2,
etc. and I cannot get them in the order I want. Is there something I should
do in Word to carry over these results in the proper order? Using 2007
version. Thx.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The simple example I created here works OK.

Can you post the SQL of your query here?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"shfrier" wrote in message
I have created a query that sorts Access db records numerically in a text
field so that the result of the query is correct. 1, 2, 10, etc.
However,
when I try to use this query in a mail merge the records appear as 1, 10,
2,
etc. and I cannot get them in the order I want. Is there something I
should
do in Word to carry over these results in the proper order? Using 2007
version. Thx.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
shfrier shfrier is offline

Default numerical records sorted in a query carrying over to Word Mail

In my query, I added this column in order for the results to display properly:

Expr1: IIf([Fieldname] Is Null, 0, Val([Fieldname]))

However, when I go into Word, the records display in the old order. I'm
wondering if perhaps I need to do a Make-Table query and use the resulting
table for the Mail Merge instead if that will work?

Or, should I use something else entirely in order to have the records sort
properly?

"shfrier" wrote in message
I have created a query that sorts Access db records numerically in a text
field so that the result of the query is correct. 1, 2, 10, etc.
However,
when I try to use this query in a mail merge the records appear as 1, 10,
2,
etc. and I cannot get them in the order I want. Is there something I
should
do in Word to carry over these results in the proper order? Using 2007
version. Thx.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Using that technique also works OK here.

But have you changed the query since you first connected Word to it? If so
a. you might need to go to Edit Recipients, select the data source in the
box at the lower left, and click Refresh.
b. if that doesn't work, I would just verify that you do not have any old
sort specifications set up - i.e. clcik Sort and ensure there's nothing in
"sort by" (if you have [Fieldname] in your list of fields and are sorting
it, you will undo the effect of your iif statement)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk