Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline

Default Pinning file locations when opening Word 2007

In 2003 when I clicked the OPEN dialogue box in Word on the top right side
there were little tools that allowed changing the appearance of the layout.

There was also a tool called ADD TO FAVORITES that allowed me to "pin" a
folder on the left sidebar.

This allowed for FAST finding of specific folders without having to scroll
through file manger as I have to in 07.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? This is a BIGGY, as I find it takes
me forever to find specific folders. I have to scroll all over the place
because I nest folders pretty deeply and don't put everything under Users.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline

Hi:
I don't know what you mean. What and where is a Places Bar?

I was talking about the Open Dialogue Box in Word and Pinning folders.

If you mean the same thing, please explain what and where a Places Bar is
when I click Open in word.

thanks

"Soapy" wrote in message
In 2003 when I clicked the OPEN dialogue box in Word on the top right side
there were little tools that allowed changing the appearance of the
layout.

There was also a tool called ADD TO FAVORITES that allowed me to "pin" a
folder on the left sidebar.

This allowed for FAST finding of specific folders without having to scroll
through file manger as I have to in 07.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? This is a BIGGY, as I find it
takes
me forever to find specific folders. I have to scroll all over the place
because I nest folders pretty deeply and don't put everything under Users.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Places Bar is the panel on the left that (by default) has buttons for
Trusted Templates, My Documents, My Recent Documents, Desktop, My Computer,
and My Network Places. I'm still seeing this in Word 2007 running under
Office XP. I believe the UI may be different under Vista, however.

"Soapy" wrote in message
In 2003 when I clicked the OPEN dialogue box in Word on the top right
side
there were little tools that allowed changing the appearance of the
layout.

There was also a tool called ADD TO FAVORITES that allowed me to "pin"
folder on the left sidebar.

This allowed for FAST finding of specific folders without having to
scroll
through file manger as I have to in 07.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? This is a BIGGY, as I find it
takes
me forever to find specific folders. I have to scroll all over the
place
because I nest folders pretty deeply and don't put everything under
Users.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline

Hi Suzanne:
Please help. I am talking about Office 2007.

When I use the Open dialogue box it only shows a place called Favorite
Links. No where do I see anything that is called My Places.

Also, when I right click on an open area underneath the Favorite Links there
is no link saying Add Folder Name.

I know this is probably a ridiculously simple process, but evidently I
cannot find the right location that you are speaking about.

I would appreciate any assistance. Just please be very specific.

thanks.

"Soapy" wrote in message
In 2003 when I clicked the OPEN dialogue box in Word on the top right side
there were little tools that allowed changing the appearance of the
layout.

There was also a tool called ADD TO FAVORITES that allowed me to "pin" a
folder on the left sidebar.

This allowed for FAST finding of specific folders without having to scroll
through file manger as I have to in 07.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? This is a BIGGY, as I find it
takes
me forever to find specific folders. I have to scroll all over the place
because I nest folders pretty deeply and don't put everything under Users.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline

Oh, I am running Vista with Office 2007 and, I might add, going nuts because
this software is lacking in many features that I used regularly.

I got excited when you told me that it could be done, but now I am concerned
that it can't under Vista?

"Soapy" wrote in message
In 2003 when I clicked the OPEN dialogue box in Word on the top right
side
there were little tools that allowed changing the appearance of the
layout.

There was also a tool called ADD TO FAVORITES that allowed me to "pin"
folder on the left sidebar.

This allowed for FAST finding of specific folders without having to
scroll
through file manger as I have to in 07.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? This is a BIGGY, as I find it
takes
me forever to find specific folders. I have to scroll all over the
place
because I nest folders pretty deeply and don't put everything under
Users.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline

I just found an article from MS regarding the My Places Bar for 2007.

To add an item to the My Places bar in Office 2007, follow these steps: 1.
In any 2007 Office program, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click
Open.
2. In the Open dialog box, click the drive, the folder, or the Internet
location for which you want to create a My Places bar shortcut.
3. Right-click a blank space in the My Places bar below the existing
shortcuts, and then click Add folder name. Your new shortcut appears at the
bottom of the My Places bar.
Note You can add up to 256 items to the My Places bar

So, they are saying that it can be done, but I still can't find anywhere in
07 to do this.

"Soapy" wrote in message
In 2003 when I clicked the OPEN dialogue box in Word on the top right
side
there were little tools that allowed changing the appearance of the
layout.

There was also a tool called ADD TO FAVORITES that allowed me to "pin"
folder on the left sidebar.

This allowed for FAST finding of specific folders without having to
scroll
through file manger as I have to in 07.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? This is a BIGGY, as I find it
takes
me forever to find specific folders. I have to scroll all over the
place
because I nest folders pretty deeply and don't put everything under
Users.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Open the Open dialog. Select the folder you want to add to the Places Bar,
then right-click in the Places Bar itself and choose "Add '[folder name]'."

That's essentially the same thing you've copied below (which I assume is
from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214). If you're seeing something
called Favorite Links, then the difference is the OS; under Windows XP, the
Places Bar has no title or heading.

What you probably overlooked was text at the bottom of the above-referenced
KB article that said: "For more information about how to customize the My
Places bar on Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

"926167 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926167/) How to customize the
Favorites Links list in common file dialog boxes in Windows Explorer in
Windows Vista"

That article is at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926167/; unfortunately,
it doesn't appear to be very helpful.

One more nail in Vista's coffin IMO.

It may be that
http://geekvalley.blogspot.com/2008/...to-places.html
will be helpful.

"Soapy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline

Hey Suzanne!!!!

You are not going to believe this! I can almost not believe it myself.

I accidently found out how to make pinning a shortcut link in Office 2007
using Vista.

I would also like to add this as a general comment so that everyone can see
this.

All those instructions about using regedit to reprogram, all those
instructions that didn't work, all those instructions for XP but not for
Vista... well, I figured out how to do it. UNBELIEVABLY SIMPLE, and no one
else has ever said how to do this!!

All we have to do is click on the folder that we want to have as a shortcut,
then drag it (with the right mouse button) into the LINKS folder under
c:\user\nameofowner\links and select Create a shortcut.

YIKES. I was in an online chat with Microsoft for 45 minutes today and they
DIDN'T know how to do it either.

I am thrilled and want to make sure that everyone who uses links can see
this info.

"Soapy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

You can also create a shortcut to any folder in Word's File/Open
dialog box by right-clicking the folder in the right window and
dragging it where you want under Favorite Links.

Cheryl

On Jun 20, 8:40*pm, Soapy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soapy Soapy is offline