Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Ben is offline

Default Tab characters in XE field

Hi, quick question - I have some XE entries in my document, within the text
of which I have just inserted tabs, but when I generate an index based on
these codes the tab is changed to a space - is there anyway to preserve the
tab character??

Thanks

Ben.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why would you want tabs inside an index entry? Word takes care of that
for you (if you want your page nos. at the right edge of the column,
or if you want subheadings in your index).

On Dec 10, 7:52*am, Ben wrote:
Hi, quick question - I have some XE entries in my document, within the text
of which I have just inserted tabs, but when I generate an index based on
these codes the tab is changed to a space - is there anyway to preserve the
tab character??

Thanks

Ben.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Ben is offline

All of the entries in this index begin with a reference number, I want a tab
after this number so that the text is all inline. These reference numbers
are not in order though-out the document, the index sorts them.

Ben

On Dec 10, 7:52 am, Ben wrote:
Hi, quick question - I have some XE entries in my document, within the text
of which I have just inserted tabs, but when I generate an index based on
these codes the tab is changed to a space - is there anyway to preserve the
tab character??

Thanks

Ben.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although the INDEX field documentation doesn't mention an \x switch, this
does perform the desired function in a TOC field, so it would be worth a try
in the INDEX field.

http://word.mvps.org

On Dec 10, 7:52 am, Ben wrote:
Hi, quick question - I have some XE entries in my document, within the
text
of which I have just inserted tabs, but when I generate an index based
on
these codes the tab is changed to a space - is there anyway to preserve
the
tab character??

Thanks

Ben.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Ben is offline

Thanks Suzanne, good tip, but unfortiunally no, doesn't seem to work in the
INDEX - looking less and less likely!!

BTW, I had a quick look at the TOC codes, \x preserves line break, \w
preserves tabs

On Dec 10, 7:52 am, Ben wrote:
Hi, quick question - I have some XE entries in my document, within the
text
of which I have just inserted tabs, but when I generate an index based
on
these codes the tab is changed to a space - is there anyway to preserve
the
tab character??

Thanks

Ben.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, I knew I was going to get that reversed (and I actually looked it
up). sigh

http://word.mvps.org