John Campbell

Default Newsgroups not available

Any ideas why I cannot read/join the newsgroups? I can scroll to the list,
e.g. English/Office/Word, but then when I select (for example) "Word General
Questions" I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" Try later etc.

This happens at work, but not here. Obviously, since I am posting from here.

Any ideas? I have checked with our network people, and they say they are
trying to make sure that Microsoft content makes it through the firewall.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Charles Kenyon

Consider using a news agent like Outlook Express and signing up directly to
the news server. news://msnews.microsoft.com/

See http://word.mvps.org/FindHelp/WhichNewgrp.htm BTW, there is no Word
General Questions newsgroup.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"John Campbell" wrote in message
Any ideas why I cannot read/join the newsgroups? I can scroll to the list,
e.g. English/Office/Word, but then when I select (for example) "Word
General
Questions" I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" Try later etc.

This happens at work, but not here. Obviously, since I am posting from
here.

Any ideas? I have checked with our network people, and they say they are
trying to make sure that Microsoft content makes it through the firewall.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

John Campbell

Thank you. I did ask the network administrator, who suggested that I make
sure that the .Net client is installed. It is, but that missed the point -
the point is, I can navigate the links (on the left of the portal page) all
the way through english/office/word, but fail on selecting the newsgroup
itself. I also tried the software reader idea too (but not the logon to
newsgroup idea) and that did not help either.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You might want to ask your network administrator about this.

"John Campbell" wrote in message
Any ideas why I cannot read/join the newsgroups? I can scroll to the list,
e.g. English/Office/Word, but then when I select (for example) "Word

General
Questions" I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" Try later etc.

This happens at work, but not here. Obviously, since I am posting from

here.

Any ideas? I have checked with our network people, and they say they are
trying to make sure that Microsoft content makes it through the firewall.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

I'm afraid I don't have any idea what the problem might be. Obviously, lots
of other people (including you at home) can connect to the NGs this way, so
the problem must somehow be in your office setup, and if the IT people there
can't help then I don't know what to suggest.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You might want to ask your network administrator about this.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"John Campbell" wrote in message
Any ideas why I cannot read/join the newsgroups? I can scroll to the

list,
e.g. English/Office/Word, but then when I select (for example) "Word

General
Questions" I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" Try later etc.

This happens at work, but not here. Obviously, since I am posting from

here.

Any ideas? I have checked with our network people, and they say they

are
trying to make sure that Microsoft content makes it through the

firewall.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

John Campbell

As it turns out, it is the same workstation that has the bizarre Word
behavior - File/Save creates a temp file instead of saving the current file.
The changes go to the temp file (which is usually a ~wrl*.tmp) and the named
file does not reflect the changes. But the network people will just want to
re-image, so I am still trying to diagnose since I don't want to go the
re-image route.

You and a few other MVPs have already responded in the other thread about
that problem, so I will post a resolution at some point if I find one.
Mostly, since I have a workaround (File/SaveAs and overwrite) I have not been
paying a lot of attention to it. I have downloaded most of the KB articles
cited here and that I could find, so I will be working on this as soon as I
get some time.

Thanks again for all the help.