Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Help with Word 2007 Help with Word 2007 is offline

Default how do you change a number e.g 1034 to currency $10.34 in 2007?

I have searched high and low in the useless Microsoft online help in 2007 for
basic formatting functionality that appears to be very well hidden. Can
someone please let me know if they have found any, eg commas, numbers into
currency, etc.

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Word has no built-in formatting functions for numbers typed intoa document from the keyboard - you have to apply the formatting
manually. Formfields inserted via the Developer Tab, and fields inserted via Insert|Quick Parts|Field can have formatting applies to
their contents, though.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Help with Word 2007" Help with Word wrote in message
news
I have searched high and low in the useless Microsoft online help in 2007 for
basic formatting functionality that appears to be very well hidden. Can
someone please let me know if they have found any, eg commas, numbers into
currency, etc.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It depends where the number has come from. There is no way to automatically
format typed numbers as currency on the fly in any Word version. You would
need a field e.g. to turn 1034 into $10.34 you would need a calculation
field { =1034 / 100 \# "$,0.00" }. If you need typed numbers formatted as
currency then it is quicker simply to type them as such.

or you could select the number and use a macro - in this instance

Dim rNum As Range
Set rNum = Selection.Range
If IsNumeric(rNum.Text) = False Then
MsgBox "No number selected", vbInformation, "Error"
Exit Sub
End If
rNum.Fields.Add rNum, wdFieldExpression, rNum.Text & " /100 \# $,0.00",
False

Help with Word 2007 wrote:
I have searched high and low in the useless Microsoft online help in
2007 for basic formatting functionality that appears to be very well
hidden. Can someone please let me know if they have found any, eg
commas, numbers into currency, etc.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Since this question was asked in the Tables newsgroup, I would just add that
the formula field mentioned by Graham can also be used within a table to
display the result of a calculation on numbers in a table as well as
bookmarked numbers. For example, if the number 25 appears in the second
column in the fifth row (cell B5) and $41.36 appears in the thrid column in
the same row (cell C5), you can display the result of multiplying these two
numbers in currency format in any other cell in the table, for example, in
the fourth column of the same row, by inserting the formula field {=B5*C5 \#
$##,##0.00} in the cell. Note that you do not type the curly brackets ({})
for field codes. Instead, select whatever is to be enclosed by them, press
Ctrl+F9, and then press F9.

The formula field is actually documented in the Word 2007 online help at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...387981033.aspx.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz