paulpenta

Default Editing repeated headings in a table

Repeating headings in a table is a very useful tool....but.

My company, for reasons that defy logic, requires that the header for the
continued portion of a table contain the abbreviation "(CONT)" in the header.
Editing the repeated header also edits the original one. Can I edit the
repeated ones without disturbing the first header in a series?

Thanks
Herb Tyson [MVP]

If you've tried, you no doubt have discovered that the repeated headings are
phantoms on subsequent pages. Hence, you cannot edit them. So, even if you
could... you can't.

If tables spill onto mulitple pages, a workaround would be to split the
first page table from the rest of the table. Leave the first page table
headings as-is. Copy the headings to the second page table, add the (Cont)
notation, then repeat THAT version.

You'll still have some manual work to do if rows are added or removed in the
first page table. But, it should be fairly easy to work around. And, all of
the subsequent pages will be automatic, so you won't have to worry about
them.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"paulpenta" wrote in message
Repeating headings in a table is a very useful tool....but.

My company, for reasons that defy logic, requires that the header for the
continued portion of a table contain the abbreviation "(CONT)" in the
header.
Editing the repeated header also edits the original one. Can I edit the
repeated ones without disturbing the first header in a series?

Thanks

Doug Robbins

If the start of the table is the first thing on the page, and you have that
page start as a result of a Next Page Section Break if it is not the first
page of the document and you place a Section Break after the table, you can
insert the (CONT) into a text box that is anchored to the Primary Header of
the section and have a different first page header. The (CONT) will then
only appear on the second and following pages of the table. A bit fiddly to
set up, but it can be done.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.