David Ziegler

Default Space between columns

In Word 97, there was a feature for setting the space between columns. In
Word 2003, there's no equivalent feature.

I have achieved the equivalent with the one-line macro command given below.
But I shouldn't have to go to this trouble, and I haven't taken the time to
build in a variable yet. Can anyone shed any light on why this feature
disappeared?

Selection.Rows.SpaceBetweenColumns = InchesToPoints(0.05)

Stefan Blom

Actually, in Word 97, the Cell Width and Height dialog had a "Space
between columns" option (on the Column tab).

There is no direct equivalence in Word 2000/02/03. Instead, these
versions have cell margins, which can be specified for an entire table
(in the Table Options dialog box), or for individual cells (in the Cell
Options dialog box).

Roughly speaking, the space between columns correspond to the sum of the
Left and Right margin setting in the Table Options dialog box. In
practice, this means that setting the space between columns in the old
Cell Width and Height dialog box to x pt would produce Left and Right
margin values, each of which equal x/2 pt.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
I could be wrong, David, but I believe that is incorrect. There has

always
been a space between columns using Format--Columns, but I don't

recall ever
hearing of one for tables.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"David Ziegler" David wrote in

message
In Word 97, there was a feature for setting the space between

columns. In
Word 2003, there's no equivalent feature.

I have achieved the equivalent with the one-line macro command given
below.
But I shouldn't have to go to this trouble, and I haven't taken the

time
build in a variable yet. Can anyone shed any light on why this

feature
disappeared?

Selection.Rows.SpaceBetweenColumns = InchesToPoints(0.05)

Anne Troy

I should've looked, Stefan. It's just been too long since I used it.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Well, Word has a tendency to move things around in the user interface,
so it can be hard to keep track. (In this case the move is combined with
a different implementation, which makes it even more complicated!)

FWIW, you can look in old dialog boxes without actually having old Word
versions installed. With the insertion point in a table cell, press
Alt+F8 to display the Macros dialog box. For "Macros in", choose "Word
commands". Locate the TableFormatCell item, and click Run, and now
you'll se it: the Cell Height and Width dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Not even I am *that* lazy! g

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
[...]

Like many others, I restored Cell Height and Width to my Table menu. There
are things that can be done with this dialog that can't be done in Table
Properties (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ePropProbs.htm);
one main advantage is that F4 works with this dialog.