Stereomonk

Default Turn "Link to Previous" off by default

When you create a new section in MS-Word, the "Link to Previous" setting for
the new section is turned off by default. I am writting a technical manual,
so my headers change fairly frequently. If I do not remember to turn off the
Link to Previous setting upon starting a new section, then when I change a
section down the road, it will write over all the headers that I created
before it. Is there a way I can set up Word to turn the Link to Previous
feature off when creating new sections?
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:06:05 -0700, "Stereomonk"
wrote:

When you create a new section in MS-Word, the "Link to Previous" setting for
the new section is turned off by default. I am writting a technical manual,
so my headers change fairly frequently. If I do not remember to turn off the
Link to Previous setting upon starting a new section, then when I change a
section down the road, it will write over all the headers that I created
before it. Is there a way I can set up Word to turn the Link to Previous
feature off when creating new sections?

Use a macro like this one:

Sub InsertSectionBreak()
'
' Inserts a next-page section break at the insertion point
' and turns off Same As Previous
'
With Selection
.InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage
.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary) _
.LinkToPrevious = False
.Sections(1).Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary) _
.LinkToPrevious = False
' repeat for first-page and even-odd if necessary
End With
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if you need
instructions. Then assign the macro to a toolbar button or shortcut
key.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman