Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George Wilson

Default Normal.dot will not save changes

Word XP on Windows 2000. I'm working with a customer who is removing and
adding autotext but it will not save. The changes stay in effect until word
closes and then the original autotext is back in the document. I do the same
operation from other systems and it works fine, can anyone think of why these
changes do not save?
George
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

From the FAQ:

28. I can't save my customizations - AutoText, menus, etc.
Can't save normal.dot...
If you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.
Otherwise, hold down the Shift key when selecting the File
menu and select Save All.
See also http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331259.html.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"George Wilson" wrote in message
Word XP on Windows 2000. I'm working with a customer who is removing and
adding autotext but it will not save. The changes stay in effect until
word
closes and then the original autotext is back in the document. I do the
same
operation from other systems and it works fine, can anyone think of why
these
changes do not save?
George

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George Wilson

This worked, I guess in Acrobat 7 the PDFMaker.dot no longer exists? I had to
disable the add-in from loading in the registry but it worked. Thank you
Charles for your assistance...
George

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

From the FAQ:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The web page explains that the add-in template has been replaced with a COM
add-in. It also explains that Adobe has fixed the problem, so why didn't you
update Acrobat as suggested to establish whether this is indeed the case -
and then you could have had your cake and your ha'penny?

George Wilson wrote:
This worked, I guess in Acrobat 7 the PDFMaker.dot no longer exists?
I had to disable the add-in from loading in the registry but it
worked. Thank you Charles for your assistance...
George

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

From the FAQ:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George Wilson

The organization I work for requires security approval for all software
updates. Forms need to be submitted and the software needs to be tested, the
process can take weeks.
thanks again
George

George Wilson wrote:
This worked, I guess in Acrobat 7 the PDFMaker.dot no longer exists?
I had to disable the add-in from loading in the registry but it
worked. Thank you Charles for your assistance...
George

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

From the FAQ:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I guess they didn't do much testing when they approved Acrobat 7 without the
update, as this problem was apparent from the outset? They will let you hack
the registry, but won't let you install a bug fix? The mind boggles.

Don't tell me, you work for the government

George Wilson wrote:
This worked, I guess in Acrobat 7 the PDFMaker.dot no longer exists?
I had to disable the add-in from loading in the registry but it
worked. Thank you Charles for your assistance...
George

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

From the FAQ:

28. I can't save my customizations - AutoText, menus, etc.
Can't save normal.dot...
If you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.
Otherwise, hold down the Shift key when selecting the File
menu and select Save All.
See also http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331259.html.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide