Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
oritil oritil is offline

Default How do I unlink endnotes but keep numbering in text and ref list?

I need to change references (endnotes) cited in a document from, for example,
3,4,5,6 to 3-6, but the numbers are tied into the endnotes, thus deleting the
endnotes when I change them. How can I detach/unlink the endnotes from the
rest of the document while maintaining the numbering both in text and the
endnotes?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert all the references as usual, but don't bother with punctuation
between them. Then insert an en dash after the first or before the last.
Then select all but the first and last and format them as Hidden.

"oritil" wrote in message
I need to change references (endnotes) cited in a document from, for

example,
3,4,5,6 to 3-6, but the numbers are tied into the endnotes, thus deleting

the
endnotes when I change them. How can I detach/unlink the endnotes from the
rest of the document while maintaining the numbering both in text and the
endnotes?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
oritil oritil is offline

Default How do I unlink endnotes but keep numbering in text and ref li

How do I format them as hidden?

"oritil" wrote in message
I need to change references (endnotes) cited in a document from, for

example,
3,4,5,6 to 3-6, but the numbers are tied into the endnotes, thus deleting

the
endnotes when I change them. How can I detach/unlink the endnotes from the
rest of the document while maintaining the numbering both in text and the
endnotes?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess you figured it out! (Format | Font | Hidden or Ctrl+Shift+H)

"oritil" wrote in message
It worked! Thank you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Insert all the references as usual, but don't bother with punctuation
between them. Then insert an en dash after the first or before the last.
Then select all but the first and last and format them as Hidden.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"oritil" wrote in message
I need to change references (endnotes) cited in a document from, for

example,
3,4,5,6 to 3-6, but the numbers are tied into the endnotes, thus

deleting
the
endnotes when I change them. How can I detach/unlink the endnotes from

the
rest of the document while maintaining the numbering both in text and

the
endnotes?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elize elize is offline

It seems you are boffin when it gets to the endnotes! I am anable see an
anwer for the second part of your question: How do I unlink endnotes but
keep numbering in the text as well as the reference list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To convert endnotes to text you can use this macro by Doug Robbins:

Sub ConvertTheEndNotes()

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with
'textnotes
'at end of document and
' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a
'superscript number.
'
Dim aendnote As Endnote
For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes
ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index _
& vbTab & aendnote.Range
aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"
Next aendnote
For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes
aendnote.Reference.Delete
Next aendnote
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font
.Superscript = True
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"
.Replacement.Text = "\2"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchWildcards = True
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End Sub

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP