Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skurzynski Skurzynski is offline

Default How to block text in Word Office 7 & Vista

Have tried Menu/Select Object repeatedly without success in MS Office 7 Word
and Vista.Am a long time user of XP and Office 3 Word. Any help out there?
Thanks .... Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Ed,

I'm not entirely clear on what you're wanting to accomplish in Word 2007. If you're saying you want to select a rectangular block of
text rather than text flow (i.e. a sentence or a paragraph) then hold the Alt key while dragging the mouse pointer over the text you
want to select.

If you're referring to selecting a Text box or other shape and you're using
Home=Editing=Select=Select Objects, shapes are no longer 'objects' within Word 2007 for that tool. Word 2007 has two graphic
engines and shapes and pictures are seen separately in the program.

You can use Office Button=Word Options=Customize
and choose the 'All Commands' category to then add the
Select Multiple Objects
choice to the Quick Access Toolbar
as one method to select shapes/text boxes.

When you insert a shape, if you right click and use Format Shape from that menu and add a description for the shape to the Alt Text
tab that name will appear in the Multiple Objects list to help you identify different items.

=============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skurzynski Skurzynski is offline

Bob, Thanks for reply... After loooooong conversations with HP and Microsoft
problem determined to be that Office 2007 received with my HP laptop was OEM
and expired after 60 days. Text functionality therefore not available in
Word. I had no idea this would occur . in past Office usage I had procured
disks and installed the program on my own. Crazy business.
Thanks again... Ed