Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
trilliums zjik discussions trilliums zjik discussions is offline

Default Command Buttons for Word 2003 Template

First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to "print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What is wrong with the print button on the toolbar? To keep it company, you
can use ToolsCustomize to add the Email command to the toolbar.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

m wrote in message
First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to "print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
trilliums zjik discussions trilliums zjik discussions is offline

Thanks, Doug. There isn't anything wrong with the print button on the toolbar
as far as I'm concerned...however, my boss feels differently...and what my
boss wants...

These forms are going to be distributed agency-wide, and it is felt that
they would be more user-friendly if the document included command buttons,
one offering to print, the other offering to email the document.

Is there anyone that could help me accomplish these tasks?
--
Gratefully,
trillium

m wrote in message
First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to "print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might want to see the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...rintButton.htm. This could
presumably be adapted to email the doc as well, but some VBA will be
required.

m wrote in message
First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to

"print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
trilliums zjik discussions trilliums zjik discussions is offline

Suzanne,

It is helpful to see how the "print" button could be concealed when the
document is printed. Ihadn't thought about that, and having them not show up
when printed will produce a more professional document. I'll have to do the
same with the "email" button, but first have to find out how to work with
VBA.

Would anyone be able to address where and/or how I could learn the necessary
VBA to accomplish all 4 components (a "print" button, and that it will not
show up when printed, an "email" button, and that it will not show up when
printed)?
--
Gratefully,
trillium

m wrote in message
First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to

"print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You (or your boss) need to think about how the form is going to be used. If
you distribute a Word document that has macros in it, when ever some one
opens that document:

1. If the user has the macro security level set to high, the macros will
be stripped from the document and your buttons will not work.

2. If the user has the macro security level set to medium, they will be
asked if they want to allow the macros to run. If they say No, the result
will be the same as in 1. above. If they say Yes, OK, your buttons would
work.

This means that your form should be designed as a template and then you will
have to give specific instructions to the users where they must save it and
that they must use it by selecting New from the File menu and then selecting
the template as the basis for the document that they wish to create.

Depending upon the exact purpose of the form, you may be better off to use a
userform rather than a protected document containing formfields.

You probably should take a look at:

Please Fill Out This Form

Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46

Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119

Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127

Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
better records!
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136

To print the document, the code you would need in a macro is simply:

ActiveDocument.PrintOut

To see how to use VBA to email the document, see the article "How to send an
email from Word using VBA" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm

You will be able to learn a whole lot more about VBA by browsing that site.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You might want to see the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...rintButton.htm. This could
presumably be adapted to email the doc as well, but some VBA will be
required.

so
all may benefit.

m wrote in message
First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to

"print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I suspect you are limited to using Word for this project but it sounds
like what you really should be using is InfoPath if what you are
creating is a form that needs to be filled out and sent back.

InfoPath has the ability to easily include an email/submit button
which once clicked automatically sends the form back to the sender.
And the data entered in the fields can easily be combined in a
database or Excel.

This link is to InfoPath 2007 but most of it is applicable to InfoPath
2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/in...487661033.aspx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

m wrote in message
Thanks, Doug. There isn't anything wrong with the print button on
the toolbar
as far as I'm concerned...however, my boss feels differently...and
what my
boss wants...

These forms are going to be distributed agency-wide, and it is felt
that
they would be more user-friendly if the document included command
buttons,
one offering to print, the other offering to email the document.

Is there anyone that could help me accomplish these tasks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
trilliums zjik discussions trilliums zjik discussions is offline

Thanks, Beth, for your excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, we are not in the
position to purchase new software at this time.
--
Gratefully,
trillium

m wrote in message
Thanks, Doug. There isn't anything wrong with the print button on
the toolbar
as far as I'm concerned...however, my boss feels differently...and
what my
boss wants...

These forms are going to be distributed agency-wide, and it is felt
that
they would be more user-friendly if the document included command
buttons,
one offering to print, the other offering to email the document.

Is there anyone that could help me accomplish these tasks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
trilliums zjik discussions trilliums zjik discussions is offline

Doug, This is being created as a template. I will be emailing it to each
individual, and after they complete it, they will email it back to me. I will
be saving it in a specified location. Thank you for suggestions as to site to
look at to accomplish my goals. I hope that I will be able to figure out what
I need to do.
--
Gratefully,
trillium

m wrote in message
First time creating templates. Want to add 2 command buttons: 1 to
"print"
the other to "email" - can anyone help me with this?

--
Gratefully,
trillium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I figured as much but it's something to keep in mind for the future.
:-)

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/