Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Moihi Moihi is offline

Default link paragraph numbering to heading number

I'm trying to format a long report and have managed to set up 'styles' with
auto-numbering (heading - 1., sub-heading 1.1, paragraphs 1.1.1). My problem
is that I put the sub-heading in and it happily did 1.2 automatically but
when I went to the following paragraph it continued on from the previous
numbering - so 1.1.16 instead of 1.2.1. I put 'restart numbering' but this
just made it 1.1.1.

This seems very basic - what's the solution???!

Many thanks
Jane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Moihi Moihi is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

I've solved that problem using Shauna's guide but have spent the past hour
trying to work out numbering in the next section. It goes 2. happily enough
but then continues from the previous section (1.3 instead of 2.1; 1.3.1
rather than 2.1.1) and I can't work out why. I've tried all of Shauna's
guidance but nothing seems to work.
Thanks again,
Jane.

"Moihi" wrote in message
I'm trying to format a long report and have managed to set up 'styles'
with
auto-numbering (heading - 1., sub-heading 1.1, paragraphs 1.1.1). My
problem
is that I put the sub-heading in and it happily did 1.2 automatically but
when I went to the following paragraph it continued on from the previous
numbering - so 1.1.16 instead of 1.2.1. I put 'restart numbering' but this
just made it 1.1.1.

This seems very basic - what's the solution???!

Many thanks
Jane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Have you looked at the "Restart numbering after" option setting for level 2?
In the Customize Outline Numbered dialog box, you may have to click the More
button to see that option.

If it still doesn't work, clear the contents of the "Number format" box for
level 2 and recreate it, adding the current level number via "Number style,"
typing in the punctuation, and adding the numbering for level 1 via
"Previous level number."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Moihi" wrote in message
I'm trying to format a long report and have managed to set up 'styles'
with
auto-numbering (heading - 1., sub-heading 1.1, paragraphs 1.1.1). My
problem
is that I put the sub-heading in and it happily did 1.2 automatically
but
when I went to the following paragraph it continued on from the
previous
numbering - so 1.1.16 instead of 1.2.1. I put 'restart numbering' but
this
just made it 1.1.1.

This seems very basic - what's the solution???!

Many thanks
Jane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Moihi Moihi is offline

Thanks Stefan - I tried that and it worked - but then the next level (which
should be 2.1.1) went back to 1.1.1 - and I couldn't change that...any hints?

"Moihi" wrote in message
I'm trying to format a long report and have managed to set up 'styles'
with
auto-numbering (heading - 1., sub-heading 1.1, paragraphs 1.1.1). My
problem
is that I put the sub-heading in and it happily did 1.2 automatically
but
when I went to the following paragraph it continued on from the
previous
numbering - so 1.1.16 instead of 1.2.1. I put 'restart numbering' but
this
just made it 1.1.1.

This seems very basic - what's the solution???!

Many thanks
Jane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

With the insertion point in the problem paragraph, try pressing Ctrl+Q (to
reset paragraph formatting, including numbering, to style). If that doesn't
help, go back into the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box and
recreate the numbering for level 3 as well.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP